Chapter Forty-Four: Dirty Little Secret

"That was fucking good," Aiden praises me for the 100th time since walking out of Rosey Records

I giggle at the comment, "You already said that, Weirdo," I brush him off and cross my arms over my chest. I know he can tell I'm holding back a smile. Yeah, he might have said it tons of times but it's like every time he says it, I begin to believe it a little more.

"But it was like... so fucking good, Torres," he has a silly grin on his face and his greenish-gray eyes are blazing with excitement. Excitement for me.

After I finished up singing the song of choice, the risky song of choice, Augustus complimented my voice, which felt amazing, and then quickly copied the song recording onto a CD for me and handed me my first demo.

That sounds crazy coming from my mouth. A demo. My demo? I still can't believe it.

Luckily, Aiden hadn't made any comments about my song choice and I'm counting my blessings because honestly, I don't know what I was thinking but at the moment it felt right. But, I need to remind myself that it's too complicated to date in college.

I need to focus, especially on this big career change and on the fact that I still haven't told my parents. Adding a boyfriend to the mix would just be too hard.

Plus, I don't even know how Aiden feels. I know he likes me as a friend, but I also know he wouldn't like to be tied down to me. He's probably one of those boys that fear the dreaded 'boyfriend label'. And the last thing I want to do is scare him away.

Why ruin a good thing? That is why there are rules.

"Calm down, Grey. It was okay," I say quietly and try to hold back my own excitement.

Aiden gives me a deadpan look and stops in his tracks, "Don't say that or I will leave you here," he threatens and I kinda believe him. I roll my eyes and release the grin I've been holding back.

"Fine! It was good," the look continues as he waits for me to say what he wants to hear. I roll my eyes once again, "It was so fucking good!"

"Yeah, it was!" He yells before jogging the rest of the way to the car and unlocking it. I giggle at his childish behavior but I know it's part of what I love about him.

I mean like. Part of what I like about him.

Let's slow down, Mari.

I side into the passenger seat of the bright red BMW and buckle in before connecting my eyes with Aiden's expecting ones.

My brows furrow, "What?"

"So... how did it feel?" he asks, a small smile on his face as he buckles his own seat belt. I think about his question for about half a second since I already knew the answer.

"It felt amazing, Grey," I whisper, catching his attention, "Thank you. It means everything to me what you did." I see the slight pink on his cheeks and hold back a grin.