Chapter Thirty-Eight: Clarity

"I'm fucking exhausted

"I'm fucking exhausted."

"Just a little longer, Gosh!"

"Lexi, you always have the worst ideas"

I stop in my tracks as the beads of sweat make their way down my face. I hunch over and set my hands on my bare thighs while trying to get my breathing under control. My growing annoyance towards Lexi grows as I think about the fact that she chose a day as humid and dry as this one to hike to the Hollywood sign.

She decided that her, Ava, and I needed a girls-day since we haven't been seeing too much of each other this past week. I constantly brought up the fact that we live in the same suite and that we see each other almost every night, but she wouldn't have it.

She used me sleeping over at Aiden's house for the past three nights to quickly shut me up and feel guilty. I think she just misses me. And I get it, I have been spending a lot of time with Aiden. I've let myself get consumed by him and have abandoned my best friend.

My attention-needing best friend. How could I?

So when she begged for all of us to spend a whole day together doing anything she wanted, I agreed. But, in my defense, I thought she would want to go to the mall or get our nails done then get some ice cream.

Not take a freaking three-hour long hike in the blazing California sun.

I'm still staring down at the dirt and rock covered ground below me as I hear Ava groan in pain, "Lexikins, we could... have just... gone to the beach," she breathes out slowly as I see her eyes squint at the attacking sunlight. Her two braids are a mess now and sticking out in every direction as some strands cling to her darker skin that glistens with sweat.

I hum in agreement as I wipe my sweaty hands on my black running shorts and cringe as I notice the sweat stains on my gray t-shirt. Why the hell did I choose to wear gray??

I straighten my back to shift my gaze to Lexi's slightly blushed colored cheeks. I can tell she is sweating, but other than that she seems unaffected by this gruesome journey she led us on.

"Oh my God, Let's goooo! Trust me, the view will be worth it," she turns her back to us and I'm met with the sight of her pink strap bag before she turns again, "And, you promised we would do whatever I wanted and what I want is some painting insp–," she cuts herself off with wide eyes, "I mean quality time with my best friends."

I narrow my eyes at her, "You were gonna say painting inspiration, weren't you?," I growl at her as an innocent look covers her face. Lexi has done this to me on many occasions. As the aspiring artist that she is, she likes to have inspiration for new paintings.

After a while of following her from location to location as she took photos of broken bottles on the floor, views from the top of water towers, and of haunted castles, I finally decided I had enough of being dragged to the enjoyable and fear-inducing locations.