Chapter Twenty-Four: Jealous

Nina looks at Dean, their triumph of getting their two schools to collide into one expressed through the brilliant smile on her face

"Kiss me, Dean," she demands with great determination as the commotion of the newfound friends in the auditorium is drowned out.

Dean smiles widely at her and grabs her cheeks with a great force before kissing her passionately. Their love had changed the town of Silver Lake for generations to come, putting an end to the hate that used to run through its core.

Setting up a brighter future and drowning out the sorrowed past so that a love as deep as theirs would never be stopped again, but instead, it would flourish.

"I think it's great!" I say in excitement reading over Luke and I's rough draft a final time. We have a meeting tomorrow with Mrs. Casey for her to read through it and comment on some revisions she feels needs to be made.

I'm feeling pretty confident.

It's a great idea for a romance story, thanks to Aiden, and I feel it's written pretty well if I do say so myself, thanks to Mari.

"It's okay..." Luke mumbles. I look up at him from my laptop. I asked to meet at Sammy's to grab a bite to eat while making our final revisions. And since Luke is always hungry, he agreed.

I look at him picking at his plate of fries. Most of them are gone but a few are still there, being poked by the one in his hand. What is up with him? He has been moody since the second we walked into the diner and sat at our usual booth.

I exhale deeply, "Luke, what's wrong?" I finally ask him, shutting my laptop and crossing my arms over each other while placing them on the table. I give him my full attention in hopes that he will trust me enough to reveal what has been bothering him all night.

He glances up at me from his plate of fries, "Nothing, Mariana. I'm fine. Promise," he whispers and adds a small smile for effect. I know a fake Luke smile when I see one.

I take one of his fries to try to get a reaction out of him. It works.

"Hey! I was going to eat that!!" he yells at me, furrowing his brows in anger. The man is serious about his food.

I smile as I chew on the fry, "Now that I have your attention. I'll ask again. What's wrong?"

A scowl comes onto Luke's face and his jaw tenses, "It's not important."

I give him a 'are you kidding me? You think that will stop me from pushing?' look.

That causes him to abandon his probing of the plate of fries and look up at me exasperated, "Fine. I've been having some... girl trouble," he strains out like the words feel awkward leaving his mouth.

Girl trouble?

Immediately, my thoughts go to Ava. I see the way he looks at her and I can tell he's into her. Plus, she is the only person that has ever made him grin the way he did at the beach. But, sadly, I have no clue if Ava feels the same way.