Chapter Thirty-Seven: Somewhere Over The Rainbow

I could still smell the rain as I drove Lexi's car up the familiar path

I could still smell the rain as I drove Lexi's car up the familiar path. The road has darkened in color and was still glistening from the storm.

There's something peaceful about the weather after a storm like this one, like it's taking a deep breath and calming the hell down. I could see the damp leaves from the passing trees dripping the runoff rain onto the grass below them.

The wind is cooler than before the storm, making me instinctively take a deep breath to take it in and hopefully calm my nerves.

When the path becomes mostly dirt, I know I am almost at my destination, and seeing a red BMW fills me with relief. He's here.

I slowly move Lexi's Nissan to park next to Aidens car as I spot him sitting on the hood and looking out at the view, his face emotionless and hard.

The light is hitting his face perfectly, every curve of his face highlighted and carved out by the light. He looks just as angelic as he always does. No fair.

I put the car in park and open the door, but Aiden doesn't even look in my direction. I don't know if he hasn't noticed me or if he just doesn't care. I take the chance to analyze his deflated body, his arm loosely placed over one propped up knee. He looks... tired.

I take a deep breath and run my clammy hands down the rubber material of my raincoat before slowly making my way over to him. I jump slightly to reach the hood of the car and sit crisscrossed.

I don't say anything at first and just take the silence as a chance to look out at the view I had become obsessed with. The Hollywood sign was encompassed by whitish-gray clouds and I could see the faint rainbow on the horizon.

The best part of the storm is after it's over and a beautiful rainbow takes its place.

I smile at the blurred yet visible color as I remember Abuelita's words. I swear that woman was never wrong.

"Did you kiss him back?"

I flinch when I hear Aiden speak for the first time since I arrived and I snap my head toward him. He is still emotionless but I can see his jaw is tense. My breath hitches when I digest his words and my heart drops slightly... because I'm honestly not sure.

"I–I don't think so."

"You don't think so?" his voice is harsh as he looks at me angrily. Now that I can actually see him, I see everything he is thinking just by looking at his eyes. Anger, annoyance, and pain.

I bite my lower lip hard and shake my head, "No–no, I didn't. I was just... frozen," I mumble the last part, still debating if that's what happened. It's like the entire situation was a blur, a hazy mess of events that led me here.

"Why did he do it?" his voice cracks slightly and I feel my heart clench. I honestly didn't think he would be so bothered by this mistake, but I thought wrong.