Chapter Forty-Five: In My Feelings

I try to keep a strong pace on my way to the BMW and when I finally make it, I just stand outside the passenger door with my arms crossed over my chest

I'm trying to calm myself down. I have to calm down.

I just hate that I placed this expectation on Aiden when I had no business to. Why did I expect him to yank me away the second Chase asked me out? Why did I expect him to wrap his arm around my waist and tug me closer to him when Lawrence called me beautiful?

I shouldn't expect so much. He doesn't owe me anything.

But it still hurts like a bitch, so now I'm gonna act like a bitch.

"Mari, please listen to me," I hear Aiden catch up to me and reach for my elbow but I just yank it out of his hold. I really don't want to be touched right now.

He huffs behind me, "I know you're pissed," no shit, Sherlock, "But, please let me explain," he begs before making his way to the driver's seat. I shift my gaze to his stupid puppy dog eyes near the hood of the car. I can't say no to those eyes, shoot.

"Unlock the door," I grumble and he looks slightly deflated as he does so and I quickly slip into the car, my thighs sticking slightly to the leather seats from the warmth in the car. He slides into his seat as well but doesn't start the car.

Dude, it's hot. Start the car.

"Can we talk?" His voice is quiet and yet sends shivers down my back. He can tell his lack of response hurt my feelings and that annoys me even more. I'm not one to show when I'm hurt, but it seems like I can't hide it when it's him. Even when I really want to.

"Turn on the car. It's hot." I can't think in this heat, I need some air conditioning asap. Or maybe just some fresh air.

I hear him sigh but he turns on the car anyway and the cool air starts to hit my face immediately, "Okay, now can we talk?" he asks. I can't ignore him forever since I'm literally staying at his house for one more night and I really don't want to spend that time in awkward silence.

I know Rosie wouldn't even let that happen.

I cross my arms over my chest in a silly attempt to protect myself from whatever he is planning to say, "Yes," I turn to him slightly in my seat and watch as a hopeful look crosses his face.

Don't get your hopes up yet, buddy.

"Okay," he takes a deep breath as if he's rehearsing what he'll say in his head. His eyes are shifting in every direction instead of meeting mine and at this point, I raise one of my eyebrows in annoyance at his silence.

It's like he doesn't know what excuse to use and the longer he takes to speak the angrier I get, and the more nervous he gets.

"Um... I don't know how to say this."