Chapter Forty-Six: Nights Like This

I shift uncomfortably in the driver seat of Lexi's Nissan for the tenth time in the last fifteen minutes

I shift uncomfortably in the driver seat of Lexi's Nissan for the tenth time in the last fifteen minutes. Why the hell did I wear a dress? I pick at the butterfly necklace I also decided to wear around my neck.

"Stop fidgeting, Mari," Lexi scolds for the tenth time in the last fifteen minutes, "You look amazing so stop."

"I'm overdressed, Lex. Why am I wearing a dress to the pier?" I whine suddenly feeling embarrassed as hell. I look like I'm trying way too hard right now and I'm not used to being that kind of girl.

The kind of girl that wears something just to get a certain reaction from someone else.

What have I become?

"No you're not," Ava swats my arm from the backseat lightly, "It's your special birthday outfit. It is a known rule you can wear whatever the hell you want on your birthday and go all out! No one can say shit!" she rants emphatically while wagging her finger at me. God, she sounds like Lexi.

I roll my eyes as Lexi pulls into one of the only available spots, "Well what if I wanted to wear shorts and a t-shirt?" I ask even though I know I wanted to wear this dress and necklace for specific reasons. But I was trying to make a point.

"Did I say what you wanted? I mean what your best friends thought was best for you to wear," Ava grins from her seat while Lexi turns off the engine. I can't help the laugh that escapes me; she's just too much.

Once we make it to the main part of the pier, I take in all the bright neon flashing colors around me and the tons of people having various conversations. I'm very much a people-watcher. When I get bored sometimes, I just watch other people live their lives and make-up stories about who they are.

Not in a creepy way. I promise.

It's just a fun way to pass the time and keep my overactive brain running!

"Ooo! There are the boys," Lexi squeals and starts skipping in the direction of the three model-like boys that were scanning their eyes around the pier in search of their girls. Which luckily is us!

I hope...

I can see the recognition in Aiden's eyes as they scan my outfit. I can also see the grin he is so desperately trying to hold back. Just seeing the familiar sparkle in his eyes as he looks at me was worth all the uncomfortableness from before. God, who the hell am I?

I practically do a double-take when I scan his outfit.

He's wearing khakis.

My mind wanders back to our conversation at his house when I said I was into guys who wear khakis just to tickle his pickle. I guess the pickle has been tickled because this boy is wearing fucking khakis.

"Happy birthday, Mari!!!" Mason yells as he launches himself in my arms, much like his sister did earlier. I almost fall back from the impact of the hug but manage to stay on my feet and just pat his back while laughing.