Chapter Thirty-One: The Way

"Okay, class

"Okay, class. Since your finals for part one of this course were just God awful, we'll be working in small groups today since I can't even bother to waste my breath."

Mr. Acker was in a bad mood.

UCLA breaks certain courses into two parts, forcing students like me to withstand two semesters with Mr. Acker over just the one. Luckily, I only had two split courses, Anatomy and English. The school believed in the benefit of sticking with your classmates and professor for both parts of the course. Stability is key.

Obviously, they don't know how unstable Mr. Acker really is.

I grumble in frustration as he projects the groups on the large TV in front of the classroom. Squinting my eyes to get a better look, I go in search of my name but quickly wish I just didn't come to class at all.

Group #13: Mariana Torres, Summer Rose, Malorie Clade, Jason Shean

Oh hell no.

Fate really just flipped me a big ass bird.

Whining, I close my laptop and move to pick up my bag from the floor. As I look down at it, I come in contact with a perfect cherry red pedicure encompassed in blue heels. It has begun.

"Hey, Mari! What a fun coincidence that we were put together," I look up to see Summer with a grin spread across her painted red lips. Her strawberry blonde/reddish hair curled to perfection and her dark blue sundress is hugging her chest in a flattering matter.

I get we live in California but it's chilly in January... I brought out the skinny jeans for today.

I give her a small smile, "Yeah. What are the odds!" No really. I want to know what the odds were.

Summer giggles at my comment and grabs onto my arm, tugging me up from my seat and forcing me to follow her, keeping a strong grip on my wrist now. I really hate my life sometimes. Summer brings me to, what I believe is, the rest of my group.

Malorie was a curvier girl with frizzy ginger hair and a headband holding it all back from her face, her freckles were prominent on her cheeks as she smiled at me shyly. To her right was a cute blonde-haired boy I've never seen before with the bluest eyes. When he looked at me I almost tripped on the floor. His smile was even better. He gave off that boy next door vibe to a T.

"Hey, you must be Mariana. I'm Jason," he greets me and holds his hand out for me to shake. Who even does that any more? It was kinda cute, not gonna lie. Summer quickly sits in the seat next to him and I roll my eyes slightly before sitting on Malorie's other side. The swivel chairs were now being moved into a circle so that we can all face one another.

"Hey, nice to meet you," I glance at Malorie with a smile, "both of you."

Malorie blushes and at first, I think it's because of me but then I realize it's probably because Jason's ocean eyes make contact with hers.