Chapter Thirty-Nine: Stand By Me

I don't think I have ever run out of somewhere that fast in my entire life

I don't think I have ever run out of somewhere that fast in my entire life. The second the advisor from hell, Mrs. Scalzo, wrote down the information of the people to contact about auditioning for the music program, I turned on my heels and flew out of the office.

I made sure to give her a strained smile to express my feign gratefulness for her help, but honestly, she did help me in some way.

She helped me realize that this was the last thing I wanted to do, that being a biology major on a pre-med track to be a doctor was far from what I wanted in life.

I have to thank her nasty ass attitude for that.

Once I quickly moved my feet across the maroon carpet in her office and made it to the door, I shut it behind me with a small yet notable slam.

But I didn't even care for the heads that turned around the shared office area or the adults who looked at me disapprovingly as I continued to move towards the exit with a wide smile.

They were not gonna kill my vibe!

I march past the snooty receptionist and I watch as her hazel eyes follow my movement. She's narrowing her eyes over the top of her blue light glasses and I send her a dazzling smile, "Have a nice life, Noreen!" I state as I read the metal plaque at the edge of the desk.

I hear her scoff in disbelief and I hold back the laughter as I push the glass door open and exit the building, entering into the humid Los Angeles air. I pause for a second and let myself breathe as I recall everything that just happened.

I just made one of the biggest decisions of my life and I'm praying it's not just a selfish mistake.

It's not selfish to do what makes you happy, Torres.

I let Aiden's words echo in my head as I take deep breaths to keep myself from panicking. I try to remember the relieving feeling I had back at the office when I finally made the decision to go after what I wanted for a change.

Slowly yet surely, I felt my heartbeat settle and the weight lift off my shoulder once again. I don't want to think about how my parents will react. I don't want to think about the far future as a possible struggling musician.

I just want to be happy that I stood up and finally admitted what I wanted. And all I want to do now is tell Aiden.

Letting a grin take over my face, I immediately start rushing towards Aiden's place before realizing he might not even be home. I continue to walk, more carefully now, as I pull out my phone.

M: Are you home?

He responds almost immediately, which is something I love about him.

A: Yes, Ma'am! Come over now, Please ;)

I giggle at his response, already knowing what he's looking for out of this encounter. But he doesn't know the big news I have for him and that element of surprise excites me.