Chapter Forty: She Will Be Loved

*Warning: Mature Content Ahead*

"Are you two together yet?"

I shoot Lexi a sharp glare from my dresser as I continue to contemplate what I should pack for the weekend since Aiden has not helped whatsoever. He will be here soon and I will not be packed and I will be blaming him and his elusiveness.

"Lex, you know that won't happen," I respond absentmindedly, not entirely believing what I was saying. Lately, my thoughts on the subject have been shifting.

I have to admit that Aiden and I have been getting closer and ever since he revoked the non-exclusive rule, I have had this eerie feeling that things were changing. That there were... feelings.

But every time the thought crosses my mind when I'm with him, I push it away, not wanting it to disrupt the easygoingness of our relationship with something so serious.

I just wanted to get completely lost in him without thinking too much of it because I know that will just start the compulsive cycle of overthinking.

"Why not?" She whines as she wraps herself in her hot pink throw blanket and lays on her bed, "He's completely in love with you, Mari" She laughs when she sees my eyes widen.

I have never heard anyone say they thought he was in love with me so I was shocked to hear Lexi say it now. Yeah, they have made jokes about how he's whipped or under my sexy spell, well I said that one, but never in love.

I scoff loudly before slamming my drawer closed while not taking anything out, "He-he is not! You are crazy, Lex," I stutter out and I feel myself getting flustered under her stare. I attempted to casually fix my cropped gray t-shirt and bunned up hair to act as if the comment didn't make my heart practically beat out of my chest.

"Oh, please," Lexi sits herself up while the blanket wraps around her head and covers the majority of her body like a shell, "That boy would do anything for you and you know it."

I go to the mini closet on my side of the room and start going through the hung up clothing, "He's my friend! He always helps his friends," I mumble quietly in hopes that it will be enough to end the conversation as I pull out a yellow sundress with tiny little white flowers and turn to Lexi, "What do you think of this?"

She purses her lips and tilts her head in thought, "Cute," she states. I smile and turn towards the closet again, tossing the dress onto the bed to be packed. "I'm sure lover-boy will be a blubbering mess when he sees you in it."

I was so close to getting her to let this go.

I sigh deeply before forcing a smile on my face and turning to her, "He doesn't have feelings like that for me, Lex," I face the closet again so she can't see the slightly disappointed look on my face, "We are just friends who... enjoy each other's presence."

"Ha! Well, that's one way of putting it."

I can't help but laugh at her comment before hearing a knock on our door. My heart jumps at the strong possibility that it's Aiden on the other side of it and I silently pray that he didn't hear any of this conversation.