Chapter One: Movin' Out

"Lift from your knees, Mari!!"

"I'm trying, Lex!" my voice struggling like my arms as they attempt to lift another one of Lexi's suitcases into her car.

"I honestly don't believe you," she says, as she sticks her head out from behind her polka dot pink suitcase.

Her cheeks were red from the heat and exhaustion, eyebrows furrowed in frustration while her short blonde hair was starting to stick to her face.

"It's not my fault you wanted to bring everything you own to college!!" I yell back while trying to blow back the parts of my brown hair that have fallen out of my ponytail.

"That's enough girls," my dad stifles a laugh at how ridiculous we both are, easily grabbing the suitcase from our hands and placing it in the car. Once the weight lifted from my forearms and knees, I hunch over, placing my hand on the used material of my denim jean jumpsuit.

"Why... didn't you... do that earlier." I breathed out slowly in exhaustion. Glancing over at Lexi, she was in the same position I was but quickly snapped out of it with a smile.

"Yay! Let's get going!!" She jumped out of her stance and twirled around in excitement, letting out a squeal and skipping over to the driver's seat.

Lexi Cohen, my best friend and my biggest pain in the ass since childhood and now following me to college. I honestly, wouldn't have it any other way.

"Mijita," I hear my father call me the name he has since I was a little girl, it reminds me that I won't be hearing it for months. "Ha llegado la hora," he says as he cradles my face in the protective way he has multiple times in my life while giving me a tight-lipped smile showing off one of his dimples. ("The time has come")

I frown hearing his words.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited to finally be going off to UCLA, the school that offered a first-generation student, with close to nothing to her name, a full ride and acceptance into their competitive pre-med program.

I'm excited that my best friend is going to be by my side during the most stressful time of my life. But, I have never been far from my family. They are everything to me, the reason I worked so hard to go to a school I could never afford without the aid.

They are the reason why I am studying to be a doctor.

I know the pre-med track will keep me busy and stressed for years to come and it's not that I don't like the thought of being a doctor, but it really isn't what I want. It's what my family wants, what they need.

They need me to make them proud, to bring in money to support them, to be successful. I'll do whatever it takes to make their sacrifices worth it.

"Ve y dile adios a tu hermanito y Abuela," he says to me, patting the side of my cheek before removing his hands completely. ("Go and say goodbye to your little brother and grandma")