Chapter Nine: Purpose

"I hope you all are caught up with today's reading because today we will be having a small class discussion on first class book Little Women," Mrs

"I hope you all are caught up with today's reading because today we will be having a small class discussion on first class book Little Women," Mrs. Casey, my english professor, states starting off today's class.

I've been at UCLA for almost two weeks now and life has been... well, uneventful.

I've been attending classes and studying non-stop. I rarely have time for anything else.

I know I have to work harder than other people just to feel like I belong here.

For instance, in my Anatomy class my scruffy old professor drones on for most of the class but is one of those professors that like to randomly quiz the students in the middle of the lecture.

I was sadly his target a few days ago.

"Miss. Torres."

I look up slightly from the screen of my computer to see Mr. Acker right in front of my desk.

His old-man smell invades my nostrils and I hold back a grimace.

I knew I shouldn't have sat in the front.

I should have been tipped off when I was one of the only people who dared to sit in this row during the first class.

"Yes, Sir?" I ask, my voice quivers a bit at the end.

I feel pretty behind in this class since I just can't seem to memorize the information while studying. Of course, this is one of the most important classes for an inspiring medical student.

He gives me a stern look and narrows his eyes slightly, "Which of your arteries are the main source of blood flow to the arm?" he asks, crossing his arms over his chest while he waits for my answer.

You're gonna be waiting a while buddy because I have no clue...

"Um," I look down at my laptop screen again trying to quickly scan my notes hoping he won't notice, "It's the... um..."

"You should know this by now Ms. Torres, without the use of notes," he scolds, looking unimpressed by my stuttering lack of an answer.

"Professor Acker?" I hear in a voice further behind me speak up.

Mr. Acker looks up toward the voice with raised eyebrows, a look of delight crosses his features, "Ah, Ms. Rose! Would you mind helping out Ms. Torres here with an answer?"

Shit. I forgot she was in this class.

I look over my shoulder at Summer who's wearing a red and white striped strapless dress and has her long red hair tied up in the neatest ponytail I've ever seen.

I subconsciously push the loose strands of my brown hair behind my ear.

"Of course, Mr. Acker. The artery that supplies blood flow to the arm is the brachial artery," she answers smoothly with a sweet smile.