Chapter Twenty-Five: Somewhere Only We Know

~ Walking On Sunshine  ❀  Katrina and The Waves ~

"This just won't do, I'm afraid."

Luke and I look at each other in complete confusion as we hear those words come from Mrs. Casey's lips. What do you mean won't do? Our story is great!

Luke wets his slightly chapped lips before asking, "What exactly is wrong with it, Professor?"

She puts down the hard copy of our short story and takes her time taking off her reading glasses. She intertwines her small boney fingers before looking up at us in disappointment. Her short blonde bob is neatly in place with not one hair out of place. She intimidates me.

"It's supposed to be a romance story, y'all!" she emphasizes, putting her hands into the shape of fists and bringing it up to her face in a dramatic way, as if she is in physical pain after reading our draft, "But there is no passion."

Luke and I look at each other again. I thought there was passion. How do you even show passion through writing? This isn't my forte.

I sigh deeply, "Okay... then how do you suggest we add... passion?" I ask slowly.

Mrs. Casey places her glasses back on and they automatically fall to the bridge of her nose once she picks up the copy again, glancing over it in thought. Does she not even know?

She looks up at us through the top of her glasses, "I don't know the best way to put this..." she says tentatively, "But I think it needs... a more intense scene between the two leads." she finishes.

Luke and I look at each other once again, confused. A more intense scene? Should they have some big fight once they are together that gets intense? Or a near-death experien–

"Are you suggesting a sex scene, Mrs. Casey?"

I look at Luke with wide eyes at his accusation, "Luke, what are you doi–"

"Precisely."

English professors say what?

She laughs lightly at my baffled expression, "Not an entire scene of intercourse, of course. But at least some build up so that we can know these characters lust after one another as well. It adds a layer to their relationship." she explains.

I still am stuck on the fact that my English professor wants me the write a sex scene. For a second or two, I'm convinced I heard her wrong. But I didn't.

What kind of teacher tells you to write about sex? I really don't understand English.

Luke snickers as he slides back into his seat. I shift my wide eyes to Luke before going back to Mrs. Casey, then repeating this action a couple more times. "Isn't this a bit... inappropriate to ask your students to do?" I ask, hopefully not offending her teaching style. I don't want her to get angry but I just want to understand.