Chapter Twenty-One: Kiss Me

I will never get this

I have been locked in my room for hours now trying to study for my upcoming anatomy exam and I'm getting nowhere.

Maybe I should have taken Summer up on her strange offer to help me study.

"You know, Mariana, I could always take the time out of my day to help you as Mr. Akram said!" Summer exclaimed, making me jump in fear from my seat after our Anatomy class had been dismissed.

I look up at her wearily since we haven't even spoken since the beach day when I practically smacked her in the face with a volleyball.

So excuse me if this random offer of her time and generosity was rubbing me the wrong way.

I throw my bag over my shoulder, "Um, I thought you hated me?" I asked honestly, wanting to cut to the chase.

She laughs at my comment and waves it off, "Don't be silly, Mari! I know you attacking me with a volleyball was an accident. Plus, I got to spend time with Aiden," she whispers, "something we have been needing for a while."

I felt my stomach drop at her comment but smiled anyway, "That's good for you... and Aiden but honestly I'm fine, I don't need help." my voice sounds strained.

I have always been too prideful to ask for help, anyway. I have always just counted on myself when it came to my school work. I'm the only person that is in charge of my success.

Her smile drops slightly from her face, "Oh. Okay. Well, good luck on the exam, Mari. You'll need it."

With that finally condescending comment, she walks off.

And now I'm wondering if I should have swallowed my pride and just accepted her off-putting offer.

Because I am so lost.

How am I supposed to become the doctor I need to be if I can't even understand the basics in this anatomy class. There is just so much information.

"You should really eat something, Mari," I hear Lexi saying from her bed. While I have been studying, she has been relaxing and watching Netflix all day and I have never been more jealous.

"I'm not hungry," I say back absentmindedly while opening a new mint, trying to figure out a way that I can effectively memorize the location, function, and organs that are part of the different systems in the human body.

My brain is on overload.

I hear Lexi sigh, "Well, I'm gonna go to the dining hall, wanna come?" she asks hopefully. She knows how I get when I'm in study mode, I stop eating and start sucking on my LifeSaver mints.

I hear her move towards my desk, "You sure?? There's mac and cheese.." she teases, knowing I love mac and cheese from the dining hall. It's like the only good thing they serve because of its breadcrumb topping.