Chapter Thirty: Rich & Sad

"Why am I stuck cleaning up this mess?" I ask, pissed off that I had to clean up after a party that I didn't even go to

The guys were all lying on the couch whining with massive hangovers. Fucking wusses.

"Because, A," Mason lifts himself from the couch and tries to fix his wrinkled gray t-shirt, "We are all dying and still have to pack for break. You already finished." He lugs himself to the kitchen, probably for some water. He went hard last night. I think it had something to do with the fact that Lexi didn't show and he was mad. Whipped.

I exhale deeply and continue to pick up the trash that has taken over my living room. I look over at Luke who is still laying on the couch with his arm on his forehead and his eyes closed, "Why did you drink so much last night?" I ask.

Usually, Luke is the calm and collected one and I'm the party animal. I just wasn't in the mood last night for some reason and I missed Luke flying off the handle. My timing sucks.

He groans and cringes as if recollecting something painful, "I don't want to talk about it."

My jaw tenses when that stupid pestering feeling comes back. The feeling that is convincing me he has a thing for Torres. I just haven't seen him so close to a girl like that since Ava and it's easy to fall for someone like Torres so I wouldn't blame him.

And I know Luke is a softy at heart. I can see him being with her; They work.

I hate that they work.

Luke finally lifts himself gingerly off the couch and into a seated position, still cradling his head, "The real question is, why weren't you at the party?" he asks, "I don't think I've ever seen you miss one." He looks at me with a suspicious gaze.

I clear my throat and move the large black trash bag towards the table where beer pong mostly likely took place according to the stench, "I-I just didn't feel like it," I say, not making eye contact with him. Luke knows me pretty well. He's been one of my best friends since I was a kid and has seen me at my worst. He'll know there's more to it.

"Yeah, I don't believe that's all," he groans, I feel his footsteps coming towards me and I tense up, "What's the real reason, A?"

I actually had a couple of reasons. All of which made me sound like a dumbass. A big reason was no other than Summer Rose.

She has been messaging me nonstop for weeks and I have been ignoring her. It takes every fiber of my being to ignore that woman, which annoys me even more. I wasted so much time and energy on this girl and it's like I enjoy wasting more. It's ridiculous.

But you never forget your first love... and Summer was mine.

"Um, Summer wanted to talk and stuff at the party and I'm ignoring her," I say nonchalantly. I know Luke will call me out on that because I never completely ignore Summer. I've never been able to. But for some weird reason, I feel like I need to.