Chapter Twelve: Home

Aiden and I made our way back to the booth, both of us still laughing about our light-hearted banter at the counter

I slip into the booth once again and Lexi looks at me suspiciously, "What took you two so long, and why do you look way happier than earlier?"

My cheeks heat up from her declaration about my 'mood' from early to the entire table.

I look at Aiden and he's holding back a laugh while giving me a knowing look.

I purse my lips at her, "I don't know what you're talking about," I sip on my milkshake that's now halfway done.

Lexi looks at me incredulously, "Mari, you know! You like laid in bed all day with your face in the pillow looking all gross and I practically had to drag you out of bed to come here!"

I'm going to hit her.

The whole table erupts into laughter, especially Aiden.

I glare at Lexi, my cheeks redder than ever before.

"Shut it, Lex," I give her a look that says 'shut up now or you're sleeping in the hall.'

Her eyes widen in surrender and turn to the group again in silence... before they all burst out laughing again.

I roll my eyes at them before remembering that I had to ask Lexi about using her car tomorrow.

I turn to her, "Hey, Lex? I wanted to drive home tomorrow to pick up my guitar quickly. Can I use your car?"

Lexi turns to me with her brows furrowed in confusion, "Didn't I tell her? The engine failed in my baby, I still haven't found the time to get her fixed... I'm sorry, Mari," she explains.

Are you kidding me?

I need that guitar.

I've been feeling so out of it lately and I want nothing more than to take a breather and sing. I do it best with my guitar. It's like a much-needed safety net. 

It completes my look.

I try to hide the severe disappointment that sinks into me at the realization that I won't be getting my guitar anytime soon.

"Oh, that's okay, Lex," I whisper, twirling my straw around my shake that's now mostly melted.

I hear Aiden clear his throat in front of me, causing me to look up at him through my lashes.

"I can drive you."

My eyes widened in surprise.

I know we are trying to be friends, but Aiden going to my house and probably meeting my family?

That seems like a lot.

The idea of spending more time with him terrifies me, but the thought of not playing music for another week terrifies me more.