Chapter Five: How to Be a Heartbreaker

"I'll have a caramel iced coffee with cream and two sugars, please?"

Today is the first day of classes and, like any good college student, Lexi and I decided to stop by Dunkin' to grab a coffee before our classes.

I'm a true advocate for Dunkin' over Starbucks.

Well, actually my wallet is.

Being that I am a pre-med student, I have to start out as a Biology major for undergrad.

In high school, I took various AP courses that my parents thought would put me in the best position possible when I started college. Being the good student I am, I excelled in all of them: including AP Biology and Chemistry. That means I get to skip the Freshman biology and chem classes and go straight to the next one.

Lucky me.

It's not that I hate biology, chemistry, and all the other medical-related classes I have taken in the past. I am able to memorize information and take tests extremely well.

But... it's boring.

I'm hoping that feeling wears away during college and I find the mystery of why becoming a doctor will be the most exciting and fulfilling career of a lifetime.

One can hope.

I grab my coffee once my name was called, giving the barista a small smile and walking over to an awaiting Lexi sipping on her iced white chocolate mocha.

She gives me a big smile once she sees me making my way over to her. She's wearing the 'back to school' outfit she's been planning for weeks, which is a strapless light pink sundress and her favorite gladiator sandals.

I don't see the point of planning 'back to school' outfits. We all know that with each day you'll try a little less until we all look like a stressed-out mess with ramen noodle stains on our t-shirts.

Maybe I am a pessimist like Ava said...

I reach Lexi and tug on her arm so we can head in the direction of our classes. Luckily the art building isn't too far from the science department.

"Sooo..." Lexi starts to whisper as we walk. I give her a questioning look. I know that voice. It's the one she uses when she wants to talk about something but doesn't want to be too obvious that she wants to talk about something.

Making it obvious.

"About Mason..."

Finally, the truth comes out.

"Hmm, Mason? Tall, soccer player, sexy as hell Mason? Brother of our crazy roommate Mason? What about him?" I ask in fake confusion. I know where this is going.

"Yeah, that one. What do you think about him?" Lexi starts to swirl her finger around the lid of her coffee in attempts to seem less interested in a conversation she started.