Chapter Forty-Two: Ocean Eyes

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong?" I whisper, hoping that he will finally open up to me about something important for a change. How can I be there for him when I never know what's going on in that tiny little brain of his. Heh, that was mean, Mari.

He shifts his gaze back to the view in front of him and the other nearby, sorta nearby, mansions and freshly cut lawns with thousand dollar cars parked in their long driveways. We are actually pretty high up to be able to see that, hence my fear!

"I was thinking," he takes a deep breath as if preparing himself to continue, "I was thinking of telling you why my parents are assholes."

I feel my heart rate pick up, from nerves or excitement I'm really not sure. I know by the look on his face that this is going to be tough for him to say, but a more selfish part of me is excited as hell to learn something about him. Something that is deeper than his favorite food or movie.

I push a loose strand of hair behind my ear anxiously, catching his attention as his eyes follow the motion, "Okay," I whisper, waiting for him to continue.

After a couple of seconds, he spoke, "I had a brother."

I wasn't expecting that for some reason. I honestly have no clue what I was expecting but for some reason, it wasn't that.

I stay quiet, waiting for him to find the courage, or the want, to tell me more. I really hope he wants to tell me more. I know my heart is practically racing at this point, but all I can focus on is him.

He licks his lips before continuing, "His name was Elliot. He was my older brother and um," he gulps harshly and his jaw locks, "he died."

I already assumed that from the 'was', but I don't dare interrupt him. I know he has to tell me the way he wants. The way he's most comfortable with.

"It was five years ago. He was 20 so, like almost my age. Um," he's breathing a bit heavier and seems extremely nervous. I know this isn't easy for him. I feel like he does not do this often, or maybe ever. I slowly reach for his clenched hand that's resting on his lap and lay my palm over the top of his.

I can feel the tension ease away slightly before he surprises me by flipping his hand to interlock with mine. My heart warms immediately. He trusts me. With that comes responsibility, one that I will gladly take.

"Um, it was raining hard. Like harder than I think it's ever rained in California or something... it was weird," he breathes out small chuckles as an attempt to calm himself down and I just squeeze his hand a bit.

"And I really wanted to go see the new 'Star Wars' movie that came out that day– 'The force awakens'– it's all anybody would talk about at school and being the dumbass I was, I bragged that my big brother was taking me but not staying so I could watch it with just Luke," he forces a small smile, flickering his eyes to mine as if checking– more like making sure– that I was still there.

That I hadn't left.

I send a small smile of encouragement and he continues, "But then it started to rain. A Lot. And Elliot," I can tell it physically hurts him to say his name, or maybe even to just hear it out loud, "he didn't want to drive in the rain."

He rolls his lips into his mouth, "But I begged him. I told him how I couldn't go back to school and look like a fucking loser who hadn't seen the movie on opening night when everyone else did," he scoffs a bit in disbelief of his own actions, "I would be laughed at," he sounds angry when he says that.

Angry at himself.

"He continued to say I would be fine and that it was too much rain to drive in, but then I guilt-tripped him for about an hour," he exhales deeply, "and he gave in."