Chapter Thirty-Two: Dreaming Of You

~ Hear You Me  ❀  Jimmy Eat World ~

A/N: Don't hate me :(

The smoldering hot water hit my back with little to no pressure

The smoldering hot water hit my back with little to no pressure. But I didn't even mind it. My short, wet brown hair stuck to my back and my cheeks. The water continuously matted my hair as I stood silently in the shower.

Where I have been for the last thirty minutes.

I stared at the cream tiles that surrounded the shower stall. I could see every scratch and scuff mark it had obtained over the years from hundreds of college students. All the marks have their own story. The engraved 'A+E' in the corner catches my eye. I wonder who they are. What's their story?

"Mi Amor, you've been out here for hours. You're going to catch a cold," I turn to see my Abuelita opening the front door to our house, holding her famous hot cocoa out for me to take.

I smile at her before grabbing the warm 'Made in the USA' mug and blowing on it to cool it down before taking a sip, "Gracias, Abuelita."

I gently place the mug down to my left before placing my hands back on my guitar. I had finally earned enough money from my frozen yogurt job to buy myself the thing I most wanted in the entire world. That was only a week ago.

I've spent every day since out on these cracked stone steps that led up to my house, getting to know the different strings of the guitar. I learned about the positioning of my hands and how different positions elicit different notes. I learned how to transfer between notes.

But I haven't learned any song yet unless you count a choppy Happy Birthday.

I feel my Abuelita sits down next to me, the smell of freshly made bread takes over my senses and I feel at peace. I turn my neck to look at her and I see her smiling widely at me, "I'm so proud of you for knowing what you wanted and fighting for it."

I laugh slightly at her praise, "Thank you, Abuelita. I'm trying to learn the best I can but I don't know where to go from here," I confess, furrowing my brows in confusion as I look at the notes I had written down from a Youtube video I looked up at school.

"How about you do me a favor and learn my favorite song?" she asks. I look at her in confusion. I'm not sure I'm ready to play an actual song yet.

"I don't think I'm ready for that Abuelita..." I whisper sadly before looking back at the guitar. I hear her scoff.

"Not with that attitude, mi Amor!" she leans against her knees and taps my chin to look at her. She's smiling at me, showing off her slightly slanted teeth, "No vas a aprender si nunca lo tratas" ("You won't learn if you never try")