67.

NICK P.O.V.: Fortunately, things with Demi, after that day only improved. We had become the best friends we always were and that made me very happy. Cherry and I didn't speak again, although I apologized to the entire team for my ungrateful and cruel behavior.

The last month of the tour went by very quickly and suddenly, one day I woke up and it was already my birthday...that meant that there were only two shows left to do and then the tour would be history.

As soon as I sat down on the bed I saw a cake in front of my eyes. It looked disastrous, but that made it more special because I knew at first glance who had done it.

I grabbed my phone to check my notifications but I didn't have any, which seemed very strange to me, since it was my birthday

I grabbed my phone to check my notifications but I didn't have any, which seemed very strange to me, since it was my birthday. I got out of bed and wondered "how was it possible that Demi got on the bus and I didn't notice it?"

After getting ready to start the day, I put the cake in the fridge and got off the bus. When I opened the door I found all the team waiting to greet me.

They: surprise!

Nick: thanks (I said smiling)

I was happy with their surprise, however, Demi wasn't among those people, and I didn't like that at all.

Dave: hey Nick, are we going to the stadium? Demi is practicing already

Nick: so early?

Dave: well, you know how she is...a tireless worker (we laughed and I nodded. He was right) how's your birthday going so far?

Nick: It's going very well, although...I wish Demi had been with the team to greet me (I said and regretted the moment I said it)

Dave: oh yeah? (I looked at him and he laughed) something tells me that sparks of love are growing between you two. Is that possible?

Nick: well I don't think so...we've just spent more time together but that's it

Dave: would you like to have a relationship with her? (I frowned)

Nick: it didn't go well for us the last time we mixed sex with friendship, and you know it

Dave: well yes, it's true. But I was thinking of a romantic relationship.

Nick: oh, romantic...I think I've never thought about it

Dave: really? (He asked looking at me and I nodded)

Nick: I always prefer to think that she is just my best friend. I guess that way we avoid problems

Dave: well, it's a way of looking at it. Tho, I'd rather be with the person I love and face problems, than being a coward (there was a minute of silence between us and then he laughed) anyway, we arrived

Nick: yes, great (I said feeling uncomfortable with the way he spoke to me)

Maybe he's right. Said a voice inside my head.

Not today. It's my birthday. Leave me alone. I answered and jumped when I heard a door open.

Dave: (he laughed) and that? Chill man, no one will hurt you, it's just a door

Nick: (I laughed) sorry, I was distracted

Dave: if you want you can go leave your backpack in your dressing room

Nick: yes, good. Thank you

Right after opening the door, I heard screams that said "Surprise" in unison from inside and the people in front of me made my eyes fill with tears.

Nick: I hate you all (they laughed)

Alena: me too? (We laughed and I crouched down next to my niece)

Nick: of course not, come give me a hug princess (she hugged me and quickly a line formed behind her waiting to wish me a happy birthday)

I greeted Alena, Mom, Dad, Kevin, Danielle, Joe, Frankie and Demi was at the end of the line.

Demi: I hope you liked the surprise (she said to me before hugging me tightly) happy birthday, my little Nick. I hope you're always happy and life gives you the best it has,cause that's what you deserve. Thanks for being my best friend all these years...love you (she whispered in my ear and I bit my lip with my eyes closed)

I wished that moment lasted longer, but Joe interrupted by clearing his throat. Demi separated from me instantly and I smiled at her.

Nick: how did you all manage to be here together?

Kevin: well, actually it was Demi's idea, she brought us together here

Frankie: exactly, she has all the credit (I looked at Demi and she smiled)

Demi: oh, the credit is not mine alone. Everyone did their part to make your birthday a special day

Nick: thanks Dem (she nodded)

Demi: I hope the surprise was to your liking

Nick: of course it was, and also the cake you cooked for me (I saw her blush)

Demi: oh umm, nice. I already... I have to go rehearse...umm...see you all later (she said with a slight smile and left the dressing room quickly)

Nick: and how's everyone doing?

Paul: good son and you?

Nick: awesomely

Joe: yes, it shows (Joe said with a mischievous smile and I frowned)

Alena: well, I'm very happy uncle Nick, in a month my little sister will be born (we all laughed and I took her little hand before we all left the dressing room)

Denise: can we go see you and Demi rehearse?

Nick: sure (I answered and Joe stepped forward until he was next to me)

Joe: what happens between you and Demi?

Nick: huh? What do you mean? Nothing happens between us

Joe: Nick, I saw the way you look at each other, you can't fool me. How long have you been dating?

Nick: what? We're not dating Joe

Joe: admit it

Nick: I would if it was true, but it's not (he looked at me with a confused expression)

Joe: really? I could've sworn you were dating by the way you both act

Nick: well, it's not like that

Alena: uncle Nick, Demi's your girlfriend? (Joe laughed next to me and I looked at Alena with a smile on my lips)

Nick: no, but if you want we can talk about it later

Alena: yes! (She said excitedly and I picked her up in my arms)

Joe: hey, aren't you going to say the same to me?

Nick: no

Joe: why not?

Nick: It's easy Joe, she's my niece and she's less likely to tell someone what I'm going to tell her than you

Joe: hey! I feel ofended

Nick: sorry, life's this way