4.34 - Twisted Humor - Dangerous Angels

During the opening day, nobody dared to create havoc, no matter how influential they were. The reason was simple. Eliaros wasn't backed up by a single person!

Nobody knew the exact details, but they realized how easy it was to build up a social bond with others. Sustaining a Tianshi was a display of unparalleled wealth and status, far surpassing the idea of a mere 'profitable investment.'

To mark the occasion, an exquisite harpist filled the air with melodious tunes as guests enjoyed an eight-course culinary spectacle. The restaurant's owner had spared no expense, opting for the rarest ingredients. Such opulence wasn't usually on the menu; the cost was simply too steep for general consumption.

· · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

Back at home, the person whose name rose in fame and status was currently begging on all fours before an Angel.

"I beg you, spare this old man." Without knowing why, Angel suddenly ordered Hasan to attack her before Ru Quan's eyes! He kowtowed again, "Please, say what this man did wrong! I will correct it right away!"

"Nothing. Continue," came an answer from the angel before him.

As soon as Hasan reached towards her face, Bing Shi was about to strike back, but someone pulled her into his arms. She sighed, "Dear..."

She could live with nausea, but how was she going to survive the next time a random man's touch would awaken her memories? If she couldn't control it, she must get used to it.

Zhao Rong was like a double-edged sword; on one side, he could help her speed up her plans; on the other side, he could destroy all her hard work with one swift move. Also, she wasn't the only one fighting with herself...

"Enough for today," Xuan Mu declared, his voice tinged with irritation and a sort of weary resignation. Taking her hand, he led her to a lavish bathroom adorned with intricate mosaics on the walls.

His intention was to assist her in the curing process, but witnessing her struggles had become increasingly unbearable for him. It gnawed at his very soul to know he lacked the strength to shield her from her own demons.

"Ah, what have you done to my kissable lips?" Bing Shi traced her finger delicately over his chapped lips, slightly parting them, "Where's the herb chapstick I ordered specially for you?" she inquired, choosing not to admonish him for this bad habit.

"In my chest pocket," he poured some oil on his hand and began to knead the tension from her legs. He noted with a touch of curiosity that her skin bore no tan lines. Her complexion was a beautiful, natural olive.

Bing Shi dabbed some ointment on his lips, "What if I had a fifty-year-old body? Would you be turned off?"

"Grow old fast so we can find out," the corner of his mouth curved up into a knowing smirk, "Raise your arms."

"No, I'm never growing old," Bing Shi raised her arms for him to put a nightgown over her head, "I'm forever young," she declared, her voice imbued with a sort of timeless defiance.

· · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

After three months...

Outside of the capital city, thousands upon thousands of people were nailed and hung on the wooden crosses. This brutal and shameful execution was a message for the slaves and criminals who tried to revolt. The grunts and cries of agony brought an eerie feeling to anybody who passed by.

Bing Shi slid the curtain of the carriage window. Getting used to the corpses was one thing, seeing the scorching sun and animal feasting on the still-living humans, was another, "..."

Sitting opposite her, Zhao Rong opened a military book and switched it with the history book in her hands. "Are you displeased with this prince?" He summoned this courtesan to accompany him to the neighborhood city.

"No, this subject fears," Bing Shi started to read the strategies of war, "The same thing could happen to this humble one."

Zhao Rong imagined the bone-chilling image of this girl being crucified to a wooden cross. A sense of dread invaded his heart. "You shall remain unharmed so long as you are on this prince's side," a threat escaped his mouth. The calm was replaced by the desire to hold her in his arms.

Bing Shi looked up at the towering man above her. Before he could pin her against a carriage wall, she lifted her bare feet and pressed them against his chest to create some distance, "Why don't Your Highness break this subject's legs instead of my neck?"

"An intriguing proposition; at least you will not be able to flee from us." Zhao Rong let go of the ankle that was still pressing against his chest and sat down at his place. The desire to either strangle her or envelop her in a fatal embrace seemed to jostle for dominance within him.

"Your Highness may also break this subject's arms to prevent me from crawling away. Cut my tongue, so this subject can't call for help. But how your highness will keep my spirit intact, this subject has no idea," Bing Shi tilted her head in contemplation as she hid her precious giggle behind her palm, "Maybe let somebody else do it in your Highness stead, so your Highness could play the role of a savior?"

"Your spirit is more valuable to me whole right now." He very much preferred her the way she was now. He didn't need weak people who couldn't even keep their eyes open during a dog fight. So why was he wasting time and money on such a person now? Her presence brought a rare sense of stability to his turbulent moods.

"Are these yours?" he asked, pointing at her neck.

Bing Shi looked at her golden accessories, "The rules forbid slaves to own anything, everything belongs to my master."

"Purchase more for yourself," Zhao Rong gave her a golden token with intricate engravings and left her in the middle of the street, "This prince has some matters to attend to. Meet me later at the Golden Bowl."

A few moments later...

Waving away the scattered dust, Bing Shi blinked her eyes at the leaving carriage, "..."