4.3 - First lifetime - Ru Quan - Dangerous Angels

° In all fairness, the emperor granted each concubine the opportunity to demonstrate her worth. After acquainting himself with all of them, he found himself inexplicably drawn to Bai Meili's presence.

° What set her apart from other females was a simple yet profound comfort—the emperor found that by her side, he could take a good rest like nowhere else.

° With Ting Zi's skillful interventions, disasters were kept at bay, paving the way for a smooth course ahead. The feelings between Bai Meili and the Emperor continued to flourish.

· · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

° "Miss. Ting Zi believes it would be wise to seek His Majesty's permission first." Ting Zi's gaze settled on the male version of Bai Meili, "His majesty might be testing your loyalty. It's dangerous outside. What if, by some chance, someone wanted to abduct you?"

° Bai Meili stood before a mirror, her reflection a portrait of conflicted emotions, "Do you think I didn't try? Ting Zi, don't try to persuade me."

° She continued, her gaze fixed on her own reflection. "No matter how much I begged, he still went to war and left me behind."

° "Miss, his Majesty holds you in high regard. I'm sure he dispatched his shadow guards to protect you," Ting Zi made an assumption on the spot, "They're likely watching over us right now, probably even sharing a good laugh at Miss' childish temper."

° "I didn't sense anyone nearby. Ting Zi, this is an order," Bai Meili turned around, her expression urgent, "I'll sell you out if you don't help me."

° Ting Zi avoided her miss's gaze, looking at the window, "Sell me," she answered calmly.

° Bai Meili's face darkened, irritated by Ting Zi's refusal to obey her again. She thought she had been too lenient, and it was time to teach her maid a lesson, "You're just a punny slave. Don't get too full of yourself," she called out another of her maids, "Ting Zi refused to listen to my orders. As punishment, she receives no food for three days."

° "Miss, the security in this place is tighter than Miss's old home," Ting Zi cautioned. With a respectful bow, she turned and exited the room, bracing herself to face the consequences of her actions.

· · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

° "What did you do?" The maid that was ordered to check on Ting Zi asked curiously.

° "Miss gave me two choices. To obey, or to be sold," Ting Zi replied truthfully, "I choose to be sold."

° The other maid's eyes widened in shock, "Ting Zi! You are playing with fire! "

° Ting Zi gazed ahead at the expanse of greenery, her demeanor as composed and bland as ever, "Our miss is a very benevolent person, isn't she? I misbehaved, and she still forgave me."

° "Y-Yes, she is..." The maid glanced around cautiously before leaning in to whisper, "I'll share my food with you."

° Ting Zi's small nod carried a weight of gratitude. Her lips curved into a subtle, fleeting smile.

° After Ting Zi got rid of the main competitors, Bai Meili's standing in the harem became far above other concubines. She ensured that every woman harbored a sense of inferiority in Bai Meili's presence. Nobody dared to go against a woman who had his majesty's favor. One word and they'd die!

· · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

° Everything changed when His Majesty returned with a woman of lowly status. She was not as beautiful or skilled as Bai Meili, and still, he gave her more attention than any other woman.