My Side of the Grass is Green

December 17, 2011

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my Strictly experience." A video of Harry projects onto the big screen in blackpool ballroom as I sit, latched onto Danny's arm. In only a few minutes, the winner of Strictly would be announced, and I hoped it would be Harry. "I've enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. I was kind of dreading it- to be honest. I was thinking 'why am I doing this?'." The projection of Harry speaks. The real Harry was standing on the dance floor with his partner, Aliona, and another couple, with a big glitterball trophy on a podium between them.

"It'll be alright." Danny comforts me quietly as I start to shake, putting an arm around me. Damn, why do these things make me so nervous?

"But I soon realized what an amazing opportunity I had." Harry goes on, as they show clips of him dancing throughout his journey. "I'm not entirely on my own." He adds with a smile. "If Aliona wasn't there I'd be hopeless. I think she makes me look better than I actually am and...she deserves all the credit for where we are. It is quite an achievement by her."

I smile to myself. Harry had done amazing, and looking back at all the dances spliced together in this video proves it. He deserves to win. I just hope the people at home saw that too.

"To be able to perform and bring pleasure to people is a real treat, honestly. It's a special feeling." He smiles, as the projection ends. And the lights go to the ballroom floor, and more importantly, onto Harry.

I looked down the row at all the boys and Gi and Izzy (who were holding hands nervously). I look back at Harry. He doesn't look as nervous as Dougie did when he was in the final for I'm a Celeb, but he looks focused, and almost mad. Like he was trying to break the cameras with his mind.

"Well." Bruce Forsyth begins. "They've been incredible contestants who've raised the ballroom bar every week. But there can only be one winner."

"Tonight you've been voting in your millions. It's the moment of truth." Tess Daly continues. The lights raise and turn red.

I hate the suspense. Why does every TV show do this?

"The votes have been counted and independently verified." Bruce says. "I can now reveal that the Strictly Come Dancing 2011 champions are..."

Awful pause...

Audience shouts...

"Harry and Aliona!"

Our whole row immediately jumps up and starts screaming, Harry's angry face turns into a shocked smile as he literally picks Aliona up, and before I can even stop them, the boys are running out in front of live TV onto the Blackpool Ballroom dance floor to tackle Harry.

Great job, Lilly.

I watch as they engulf Harry in a group hug and then hug Aliona as well, before Bruce shoos them off the dance floor by hitting them with his announcing cards. 

**************************

We were all running, literally, running, after the show ended backstage to find Harry.

We'd asked tons of backstage crew members and even some dancer we'd seen, but we couldn't find Harry anywhere. 

"Maybe we should just wait out by the car." Tom sighs, grabbing Gi's hand. We were all standing in a circle now, catching our breath from all the unplanned exercise. 

"Oh but I really want to see him." Izzy sighs. We all stand and shrug. We all wanted to see him, but where the hell was he? Just then, I hear Danny gasp. 

"Mushy!" He yells, running away from us all. I look over to see him and Harry running towards each other and then tackle each other. 

"Harry!" Izzy exclaims, as we all un towards him. We all give him hugs and congratulations, and I hug him as tightly as I can. 

"I'm so proud of you!" I exclaim. 

"Thank you." He laughs. 

"Who knew Juddy could dance?" Tom laughs. 

"I'm exhausted." Harry smiles. 

"Thank god all this reality stuff is over." Danny smiles. "What do ya say, boys? Album six?" 

And they all start to holler. 

//