No Need to Fear What You Can't Avoid

September 25, 2008

Today Dougie had officially moved into his new house and was coming over to pick up Flea.

It had been three days since the official release of McFly's fourth album, so it was too soon to see charting for it. Tom's Sunday Post idea had been a complete success. Turns out on that one Sunday, the post's sales were increased by about 300,000 purchases.

It was hard to justify being sad about anything when the boy's career was going so well.

But Dougie did eventually make his way round, and when he got out of his car, I was waiting on the front step with all of Flea's stuff, some of Dougie's things he had left, and Flea on a lead.

"Hey." Dougie smiles at me.

"Hi Doug." I say. I can totally do this. It's just a dog. Plus, I know Dougie will spoil Flea. It's totally fine. "You're probably too busy to come in." I guess.

"Yeah. You know how it is, setting up the new place and all." He smiles. He takes all of the extra items and puts them in the boot of his car before walking up to me. I hand him the lead.

"You two have fun." I smile.

"Thanks. For watching him and...everything, Lil." He says, sincerely. I nod.

"Course." I whisper, even though I didn't mean to. I would do anything for Dougie. I'd do anything for any of the boys. They know that.

Dougie turns and him and Flea start to walk back to his car, before I almost lose it.

"Wait!" I call out before I can even think about what I'm doing. Dougie turns back around towards me, and I can't think of anything to say, so I just crouch down. "Come here, Flea." I'm not crying, but I'm pretty embarrassingly close, and I think Dougie can tell, so he lets go of the lead. Flea rushes over to me, and I pet his head. "Be good for Dad." I sniff.

"Lilly-" Dougie starts, walking closer, but I stand up and motion for Flea to go to him.

"Go on." I say, and Flea runs over to Dougie. Dougie looks down at the dog and then up to me, squinting from the sun, reminding me of the time we stayed in the hotel in Bolton.

"You've got him trained?" Dougie asks. I nod.

"Yeah." I say. Dougie nods, puts Flea in his car, and drives away, waving as he goes.

And then there was one.

//