Back To the Days

February 18, 2008

Dougie and I had cooled down quite a bit, but certainly still weren't on the best of terms when we entered the studio today. When I get in, Tom pulls me to the side, away from everyone else.

"Uh, what the hell happened last night?" He asks.

"What do you mean?" I ask. Did Dougie do something drunk onstage that I hadn't noticed?

"We all heard yelling." Tom whispers. My stomach drops. I feel embarrassed, but I'm glad it didn't have anything to do with the performance.

"Oh...Dougie and I kinda got into a fight." I say.

"You guys okay?"

"We'll be fine." I nod, before walking over to the rest of the group. It was the truth.

Today the boys were in the studio with Jason Perry, their producer who also worked on Motion in the Ocean with them. Jason was one of the most crazy, fun, creative guys I've ever met. He was like a dad to all the boys, and he was so much fun to be around.

The boys were working on a song while Harry was recording bits of songs on his drums, and Danny doing the same on guitar. Tom and Dougie had written a song almost completely, except for the fact that they couldn't come up with one line.

"I try and drown you out so..." Tom pauses while saying the lyrics. "Duh duh duh duh duh duh." He sings.

"This song sound really sad." I say.

"It is." Tom replies.

"What's it about?" I ask.

"Remember on Wonderland the song 'She Falls Asleep'?" He asks.

"Yes." I say.

"Well the chord progression before the part that goes 'she falls asleep and all she thinks about is you' is the same as the chord progression of this part that we can't come up with a lyric to. That song was...well it was rather sad. It was about a girl who commits suicide and leaves a note for a boy she's in a relationship with." He says.

"Okay." I say, nodding.

"This song is the boy's response." Tom says, smiling.

"Oh...clever." I smile. "So you're looking for a sad lyric."

"Think more intense." Jason says.

"I try and drown you out...so..." Dougie starts.

"Flying kites just for fun." Tom finishes, to the tune, laughing.

"Nice." Jason jokes.

"Please pass me some more rum." Tom jokes again, making Dougie and Jason laugh as he pretends to down a shot.

"And then when you finish the bottle." Dougie starts. "Down goes another one."

Silence.

"Hey...hey that was kind of good." Dougie smiles. Tom rushes up to a little keyboard on the couch, plays the chords and starts to sing.

Every time I fall asleep my dreams are haunted

And every time I close my eyes I'm not alone.

"Line?" Tom says, still holding the chord.

"And every time I cry." Jason prompts him. Tom nods and continues.

And every time I cry I'm right back where you wanted

I try and drown you out so

Down goes another one.

He looks up at us and smiles.

****

When we had climbed the Harbor Bridge, Dougie and I had planned to go out to this cute restaurant we saw nearby tonight. Sure we had gotten mad at each other yesterday, but I thought that this would be a good chance for us to talk it out.

I felt bad for being so harsh on him, but I still stood by the moral of what I had said. He has to be more careful, especially when it comes to work.

The plan had been that Dougie would go from the studio and meet me there, so I took a car alone to the restaurant. I gave the hostess the reservation under 'Dougie Poynter' and she seated me in a private room. The room was beautiful and decorated with flowers. There was champagne and the food was great. Dougie had really gone all out.

Well, almost all out, except for the fact that he didn't show up.

After sitting alone for an hour, I thought maybe he was running late at the studio.

After two, I knew what was happening.

Leaving, I felt sad, but at the same time, I couldn't be that upset. Was I the foolish one for thinking that he would show up after we had our first fight?

When I got back to the flat, it was already 9 pm, and none of the boys or Gi were there. Turns out, they were at a club and none of them got back until 2 am.

When they did get back, I was in bed, lying wide awake like I had been for the past few hours. Thinking.

Dougie got into bed beside me and I immediately turned to face him. He looked surprised.

"I didn't think you were up." He said quietly, fully awake and aware.

"I'm sorry." I say.

"No I am." He says.

"Okay...so we're both sorry." I say, and then I sigh. "I'm sorry that I was so harsh. You were just trying to have fun and I know you didn't mean to get that drunk. I just...want you to be careful." I say, putting my hand on his arm. "And I'm sorry for saying I was your manager before your girlfriend."

"Well, it is a true fact." Dougie smiles.

"Yeah but it's not how my priorities are listed."

"I'm sorry I got so drunk." Dougie says. "You're right. It was stupid."

"Just...please be careful." I, beg, really. "I didn't mean to get mad." Dougie puts his hand on my cheek.

"You said you wouldn't get mad unless I gave you a reason to." He says. "I did...give you a reason to. So it's fair." I laugh lightly. "Love you."

"Love you too." I reply.

//

That is actually the true story behind the making of Down Goes Another one! Well, for the most part. All I know is that Dougie said the line out of the blue, so I improved the situation lol.