Not a Moment to Waste

February 15, 2006

"Yup...That's the last one." The moving helper told me, and as he did, it became very apparent to me that paying a crew of movers was very unnecessary.

"Thank you." I smile, taking the box before closing the door. I sigh, setting the box next to me on the floor. When I looked up, Dougie was next to me, looking at me with a blank expression on his face.

"We own a house." I say.

"We do...own a house." He replies. and we stand, looking at the house, for quite a while.

******************************************

The house was furnished luckily, and between both Dougie and I, we had only nine boxes (five were Dougie's, four were mine).

I tried to use my old bedspread for the master bedroom, but the bed was too big. The monstrous amount of DVD's that it seemed like Dougie had looked miniscule compared to all the shelves in the living room, and we still didn't have a shower curtain. Overall, the house was still pretty empty.

"Okay." I said, marking off a checklist as Dougie put up his framed posters in the living room. "We need a shower curtain, three rugs. soap. food, two bed spreads, a sponge, laundry totes and detergent."

"So...Everything?" Dougie asks.

"Yeah basically."

"Well, it's fine. Harry told me he had one of my Blink posters, so I'll just pick that stuff up while I stop round his to pick it up." Dougie says, stepping off the couch.

"Seriously? Another Blink poster? The living room already looks like a shrine to them."I laugh.

"And the problem with that is?" Dougie asks.

"Okay, go." I laugh.

****************************************************************************************

Dougie had left about an hour ago, and I was still cleaning the house when the doorbell rang. I jogged over from the foyer, but before I reached the door, I heard a familiar voice call out.

"Mr. Poynter? I have your mail!"

Shit.

It was Tom.

I quickly turn to hide behind the wall next to the door, and as I do, I bump into the side table that used to be by the door in my flat, knocking the glass vase that was on top of it off. It shattered into a million pieces as it hit the floor.

"Dougie? You alright?" Tom asked. I stayed quiet. Maybe Tom will go away and leave it in the mailbox if I stay quiet long enough.

Instead, I heard the sound of the door opening.

"Dougie?" Tom called out again. I quickly made my way behind one of the drapes covering the window. "Is anyone there?"

Please, Tom, leave.

"Alright, well...if there are any murderers here, there's money upstairs in the safe...I'm gonna leave this mail on the table and hope that you don't kill Dougie...and...uh, I'm gonna go call him." Tom said, before I heard slow footsteps and the door close.

Thank god.

I let out a breath I hadn't been aware I was holding as I began to clean up the shattered vase in the entryway.

not too long after that, while I was still trying to calm my beating heart, I head the door open and just as I was about to hide, I heard Dougie call out for me.

"Lilly?" He called, nervously. I rushed out to the door. He sighs and hugs me. "Why did I just get a call from Tom about there being a possible murderer in my house?"

"It was me." I say.

"You're a murderer?" He asks, confused.

"No! Tom came in to give you your mail and I had to hide, but as I did I knocked over the vase." I said, pointing to the spot where the vase used to stand.

"Aww...my mum gave that to me as a housewarming gift." Dougie said.

"Sorry." I say.

"It's okay, but why didn't you lock the door?" He asks.

"I don't know. I figured the electronic gate with number password would be enough to keep people out." I say. Dougie laughed.

"I can't believe you didn't figure I gave the password to the lads."

"I know." I say.

"This is going to be a lot harder than I thought it would be, isn't it?" Dougie asked.

"Oh yeah." I say.

//