Contacts [NaJ_ Fresh x Jock!Reader]

Requested by The_X_Writes so thank her for the oneshot you're about to to be given.

You were the school's best shortstop on the varsity softball team. You played with Undyne and catty, two of the most popular girls in the school. Catty was an amazing catcher and Undyne as the best pitcher in the school district. 

But being this popular and invested in softball it caused you to grow away from your friends and work out during any spare time you have. You must be, what? Eighty percent glutes at this point you work out so much.

One day after a nice mile run you decide to go through your contacts and delete anyone you don't talk to anymore. Let's seeeeeee... Palette? The cute little cheerleader skeleton? Eh, why not text him again. You text him a hey and you wanna hang out sometime? You get an instant response saying Can't. I'm on a date with Goth right now. Maybe next week would be awesome!

That gets to your next contact you haven't used in forever, Goth. He was the librarian's assistant. So he's dating the little cinnamon roll? Good for him! You'd keep those two. It'd be fun to keep in touch. 

Then you got to one you didn't recognize. It's had a funny name too. Bae. Who on earth would you call bae? You didn't have a boyfriend or girlfirend before. (Not discriminating) Who was Bae? You were kinda curious. You go to their text messages and roll all the way up to the least recent.

You: Hey! I got your number! Is this the right person?

You scoffed. This had to be back in middle school when you just got your phone. You were never that's innocent or polite unless it was, what? Fifth grade? You didn't even say their name yet. You wonder who on Earth Bae is.

Bae: Yeah! It's me (Nickname). I can't wait to talk a lot!

Ooh, another cinnamon roll? Wait a second. Only one person ever called you by that nickname. WAIT A SECOND!? You remembered you DID have a boyfriend before. In fact, you've dated during all of middle school u til halfway through junior high. How the hell did you forget that!? Bae was Fresh!

You scroll to the middle, where you had to be At least in seventh grade. The most recent conversation. What supposedly was your breakup. You needed to remember why you would break up and stop talking to such an amazing guy!

Bae: Hey, (Nickname). I'm sorry. I don't think hanging with Undyne and Catty is best this weekend. Maybe hang out with me and Alphys? :>

Oh those little emojicons would always get you. You ecspecially love how he used to make the most adorable ones with the greater than sign. He was so innocent and pure. In the long run, he was probably right. They were bullies. You don't hang out with them outside of softball anymore.

You: Why? They play real good softball and I need to practice with them if I want to make the high school team. And what's with all this hanging with Alphys? Do you like her now?!

Oh, mad at him for suggesting anything bad about friends AND jealousy? Wow, past you. You really had two bullshit reasons to be mad at Fresh. He was so awesome! You should have known he'd never ever cheat on you! And that Alphys as lesbian.

Bae: What!? Where did this come from? I love you and only you. I want the best for you.

Well, thinking back at it he did. He only wanted what would make you happy. He is such a selfless person. Now you suddenly had the urge to text him right now. Or better yet, call him. But you kept reading.

You: It doesn't seem like it.

Oh piss off tiny junior high you. He does seem like it! Do you not see the little emoji on suggesting that he's innocent as he claims! Besides, you've been DATING Fresh! You should know him by now! Reading these text messages was like a fanfiction of your OTP and you were getting invested in the storyline.

Bae: I am tho, trust me. X>

Okay, can we stop and appreciate that little emojicon? Adorable things like that were your cryptonite. It just made you squeal on the Inside like the fanfirlish softball Jock you were. Fresh rubbed off on you. X3

You: No, you're not. Talk to me when you're okay with me hanging out with Undyne and Catty.

And that must be why he never tried to talk to you again. He still hates those two. Plus they're his bullies. But then... it's your fault you never stepped in for him. You sadly stared at the screen for a moment.

You clicked on his icon and pressed the call button, placing the phone next to your ear. You waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited..l

He picked up.

"Yo, this is Fresh."

"Bae?"

"(Nickname)?"

There was a pause.

"I'm sorry. Can we talk about this at your place? I'll swing by Starbucks.... bring the Pokémon cards... pop some popcorn and wear our pajamas all day?"

You names the things you'd do on a normal Saturday back in middle school. There was a silence on the other end. Until he spoke.

"I missed you."

You smiled.

"I missed you too."

AWWWWWWW THAT WAS ACTUALLY CUTE I AM REALLY PROUD OF THAT!!!

~Eva