I Give My All To You

En başından başla

Dougie and I walk up to the front door and he rings the doorbell. I can hear footsteps from inside and the closer I get, the more worried it get.

When the door opens, I don't eve get a good look at Dougie's mum before she engulfs me in a hug.

"Oh Darling! I've heard so much about you!" She squeals.

"Mum! She can't breathe." I hear Dougie laugh from behind me. Dougie's mum lets me go, and hugs him.

She's not tall, but to be fair, neither is Dougie really. She's blonde, like Dougie and has blue eyes.

"Is this your girlfriend?" I hear a girl's voice from beyond Dougie's mum. I look to see a girl with dark blonde hair and blue eyes on the stairs. Dougie sighs.

"Lilly, this is my little sister, Jazzie." He says. "And no, Jazz. She's not my girlfriend."

"Right." Jazzie says, giving Dougie a quick side hug.

Dougie's mum leads us through the house into the kitchen. The house is small, one level, and every room seems crammed together.

"I'm making a turkey dear. Do you eat meat?" She asks.

"Yes." I say.

"Good, good. and potatoes, we've got pie for dessert." She smiles, whisking something on a stove. "That reminds me, Dougie, could you run out and pick me up some extra sugar?" She asks.

"Yeah mum. Come on Lil." He says, I go to leave, but his mum stops us.

"Lilly doesn't have to go. Let her get settled. New surroundings." She says.

"You okay Lil?" Dougie says quietly. I smile.

"I'm great." I say. He nods and makes his way out.

"Dougie has told me loads about you." His mum says, and I wonder how much.

"Oh." I say.

"He's a good boy Lilly. I promise." She says, turning to me. I was sitting on a chair from the table. "He's done so much for Jazz and me. I...I can't thank him enough." I think of when Dougie told me about them eating canned food for every meal. He must've bought them this food.

"Ms. Poynter-"

"Sam." She smiles. I nod.

"Sam...Dougie is amazing. He's really great. I promise." I say.

"I...I don't want to scare you away but...I think Dougie's father took apart of Dougie when he left and...he's a very shy boy." Sam said, and I nodded, thinking back to how Dougie took three weeks to talk to me when I first met him. "But the first weekend after you started working, he came home, and...I've never heard Dougie talk about a person like he talked about you."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"He thought the world of you. You were the most intelligent person he said he had ever met." She smiles.

"Are you sure he was talking about me?" I ask.

"I'm sure. I couldn't forget something like that." Sam says, looking at the floor sadly and turning back to her cooking. I get up from my seat and go to her. "I just get nervous sometimes. I know he's only a few years younger than the other boys, but sometimes that can make such a difference. I just wish someone could look after him, take care of him, you know?"

"Sam?" I say, and she looks up at me. "Fletch and I take care of your son...and believe me, we will not stop."

***********************************************************************