Chapter 51: Happy Fucking New Year To Me

Začít od začátku

My left hand found its way to the bracelet I wore on my right wrist. I paused for a second and looked at him.

"Yeah Kyle...I...I am."

"I messed up big time," he said.

I opened my mouth but was cut off by Austin.

"What are you doing?" he asked Kyle. "I told you a hundred times she doesn't want to speak to you."

"Austin ju-"

"Everything okay here?" another person asked.

"Yes Shawn it is, let's just walk away please," I begged both of them.

Kyle chuckled bitterly. "Look's like you're not wasting any time," he told Shawn."

"Shut up and leave pretty boy," Shawn retorted.

"Let's go guys," I said and pulled both of them away.

"Are you okay?"
"What did he say to you?"

"It was nothing," I told both of them. "I was handling it."

"Ten! Nine! Eight!" everyone began to shout.

Already?

"Shit," Austin cursed. "I gotta go."

He ran off, probably going to find Jess, leaving Shawn and I alone.

"Seven! Six! Five!"

"Looks like it's just us huh?" I nervously chuckled.

"Looks like," he said, giving me a small smile.

Screw it, I'm done being nervous. I placed my hands on his shoulders and began to lean in and he did the same. This was it! I was going to get my kiss!

"Four! Three! Two!"

"I can't," he whispered, snapping me out of my too good to be true fantasy.

"One! Happy New Year!" everyone shouted, while I experienced the biggest disappointment I had faced in a long time.

"Wh...what?" I asked.

"I can't Michaels," he repeated. "I'm not good for you."

I stepped back a bit, with hurt filling my chest. "Don't you think that's for me to decide?"

"Michaels I'm confused okay?" he admitted. "I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing, and I don't want to hurt you because of that."

He slowly turned around to leave but I grabbed his arm.

"Shawn I like you," I confessed. "A lot. And I'm not just going to give up on this because you're scared."

"I'm not scared," he told me. "It's just...I haven't been with a girl the way you want me to. I don't know how to. I care about you, and I will hate myself if I'm the one to hurt you."

He kissed my forehead. "I'm really sorry, but you deserve better."

He left after that, and I stood there looking like a completely confused idiot. And that's what I was, an idiot. For allowing myself to even for a second think that Shawn Mitchell, the bad boy, wanted a relationship with me.

"Girl," Jessica squealed as she and Shayley came bouncing up and down towards me. "I saw you two talking. Did he kiss you?"

I slowly shook my head. "I was wrong," I managed to get out, with a weak smile. "Shawn doesn't want me."

Their faces dropped and Shayley hugged me. "It's his loss Khalan, it's his loss."

I was wrong.

Happy fucking New Year to me.

************

I sat on my bed and sighed. I hadn't seen or even spoken to Shawn since the party. And I was so nervous because school resumed today and I was bound to run into him. I picked myself up and went downstairs, allowing my brother to drive me to school.

And just as I had supposed, Shawn avoided me all day till school closed. It wasn't that big of a problem to me, because well...what the hell was I going to say to him? He basically made it clear that he didn't want to be with me.

"Are you sure he doesn't? Shayley asked.

"Yeah, I mean he did give you that bracelet," Jess added.

I shut my locker. The bracelet. Why was I even still wearing it?

"He was kinda crystal clear," I muttered. "Look, Charlie's picking me up, he's waiting outside. I don't want to talk about this. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

Before I could take a step my phone buzzed. I frowned.

"It's the anonymous text again," I told them. "Telling me to go in front of the girls' bathroom."

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Shayley questioned. "Remember how it went the last time you got a text like this."

"Yeah but, what could be going on now?" I asked.

I ignored her advice and walked towards the bathroom, she and Jessica following me. And let's just say I wish I would have taken the advice. I couldn't even begin to comprehend what I saw. It's happening again. Shawn...and Denise.

What...the actual...fuck.