Chapter 42: It's An Emergency

42. It's An Emergency

"Shawn," I said. "What are you doing here?"

"I-I don't know," he slurred.

I shut the door and stepped outside. He smelled of alcohol. His lack of sleep was evident from the bags under his eyes.

"Have you been drinking? Are you drunk? You drove here while you were drunk?!" I kept asking trying to keep my voice as low as possible.

He groaned and ran his fingers through his messy hair. What was up with him?

I sighed. "I've got to get you home."

"No," he groaned. "I don't want to go home."

"I know you're not yourself but I need you to remember what happened. Why are you like this?" I said softly gripping both his arms.

"Her birthday," his raspy voice said. "It's her birthday Michaels. I...I don't know how...but I ended up here."

And with that my heart broke for him. His mom's birthday was today.

"Shawn," I whispered before hugging him. I didn't know what was going on with his family, heck I'm not even sure they were celebrating thanksgiving. I hated seeing him like this...all...broken.

"Hey Kha-" Austin began. He stopped in mid-sentence and shut the door, coming over to us. "Is something wrong?"

"He just needs to get home," I told him.

Austin looked over and saw his car. "He drove here like this?"

I nodded.

"Shawn you could have killed someone, you could have killed yourself!" he said voicing out my thoughts.

"I'm just not going," Shawn slurred.

"Going where?" Austin asked.

"Home."

"What are you guys doing out here?" Charlie asked coming out too.

Great, join the party. Wait, no time for sarcasm right now.

"Shawn?" he asked.

"He needs to get home," Austin said. "He can't stay here or at my place like this."

"Like what?" Charlie asked as he stepped closer.

"He's um...a bit..intoxicated," I replied.

"I'm not going!" Shawn protested. "I'll sleep on the street if I have to."

"This is just the alcohol talking," I said patting his shoulder. "You know what, I'm taking you home."

Charlie sighed. "No. Get him into his car."

"What? He can't exactly drive right now," I pointed out.

"Which is why I'll drive him," he said. "Just put in his address in the GPS and I'll take him."

"You don't have to," I told him.

"It's easier me explaining why I left the house than you," he said. "Don't worry, I'll get him home."

I nodded. "Thanks."

"Khalan?" Kyle called.

Oh no.

He shut the front door behind him and I quickly walked over to him so he wouldn't go any closer. With everything going on I didn't think Kyle would like it very much if he knew the first place that came to a drunken Shawn's mind was my house.

"Your mom needs you in there," he began. "But wait, Shawn?"

"Uh yeah," I quickly said. "He just came to ask if he left a book with me that's all. Turns out he didn't. Let's go inside."