Chapter 6: Like A Date?

6. Like A Date?

"Austin, if you want answers you can just ask you know," I said. He was trying to copy off my worksheet in Math class.

"Okay, can I have answers?" he asked.

"No."

"See," he groaned. "This is why I cheat off you."

I rolled my eyes then I felt something light hit the back of my head. The feeling came again, then again. I turned back and saw a smirking Shawn seats behind me. He winked as my eyes met his. I glared at him signalling him to pay attention and turned.

Unfortunately for me I had him in math too. He kept bothering me any chance he got.

"Shawn," our teacher called. "Could you tell the class number four's answer please?"

I closed my eyes hoping he'd get it. For myself actually, at least I'd know if I was making progress.

He shrugged. "The square root of thirteen?"

"Correct," our teacher said. "Well done Mr. Mitchell," he added. He sounded like he was surprised Shawn got the answer. I didn't blame him. I was surprised too. Most of the time Shawn would intentionally give a response far away from the correct answer or say something sarcastic or cheeky but this tine he actually responded, and gave the right answer too! I looked at him and nodded in approval. He tried playing it cool but I saw the small smile forming at the corner of his mouth.

**********

"Sup guys," Shawn said as he sat down at our table for lunch. I cupped my face in my hands and shook my head.

"No no no. What are you doing here?" I said in defeat.

He smirked. "What you're not happy to see me?"

"No, not really," I replied.

"You know Jacob right?" he said gesturing to his inked friend.

"What's up?" Jacob said.

"And Liam of course," Shawn added pointing to the other one. Liam had a few tattoos too, but not as much as Jacob. Who didn't know these guys? The three friends almost every girl would die to get their hands on.

"Nice tattoos," Austin said. I looked at him in a 'why' manner. He just shrugged.

"Don't get me wrong I love you guys, but I don't know if I can keep spending my lunch listening to your 'girl talk,' he said.

I rolled my eyes. I looked at Shayley and Jessica but they were already in a deep conversation with the three of them.

"Looks like we're all going to get along just fine," Shawn said taking one of my fries.

I sighed again in defeat. How did I get myself into all this?

***********

Shayley, Jessica and I were making our way to Shayley's car after school.

"Uh...is that Kyle coming over?" Jessica asked. I looked up from my phone and saw him walking towards us.

"Jess and I will be in the car," Shayley quickly said and pulled Jessica away.

"What? No," I said but they were already gone. Nice.

"Hey," Kyle said, his hands in his pockets and his brown her flying against the wind.

"Hi Kyle," I responded.

"Where are your friends?"

What friends?

"In the car," I replied.

"Oh," he said. "So anyways," he began and scratched the back of his head. Wait, was Kyle Richards nervous?

"Yeah?" I asked so he could continue.

"A couple of guys on the team are throwing a party Friday night."

Was he about to ask me out?

"And I was wondering if you'd like to go...with me," he finished.

"Like a date?" I spat out trying to hold back my excitement.

"Yeah, like a date. Unless you don't want it to," he replied.

I laughed. Not because he was flustered but as a sign of relief.

"Yeah, yeah okay I'd love to," I said.

"Great," he said with a smile. "I'll see you later then."

I sighed as I got into the front seat of Shayley's car.

"So?" she asked.

"So what?" I shrugged trying to act cool.

"Oh quit it Khalan," Jessica said rolling her eyes. "What happened with Kyle?"

I looked at them for a few seconds. "Nothing, just a few heys and hi's," I said.

"Oh," Jess said leaning back in disappointment.

"Yeah oh's right," Shayley said turning on the engine.

I held back my laughter. "He asked me out!" I blurted out with excitement.

"Ahh!" they screamed.

"That's great Khay!" Shayley said.

"So where are you guys going?" Jessica asked.

"A party. A couple of his friends are throwing it," I replied.

"When?" she asked.

"Friday night. Gosh I'm so freaking excited. And I'll need both your help to get ready," I told them.

"Well of course you would," Shayley said.

"We'll be there," Jessica added. "What time though?"

Oh man, I forgot to ask the time. "I didn't ask. I forgot I guess," I said.

"Well don't just sit there, call him and ask," Shayley said.

I shook my head and smiled. I took my phone and texted him instead.

Kyle: Pick you up at 8 ;).

"Eight," I told them.

"Great, we'll be there by six," Jessica said. I gave her a warm smile. My friends could be annoying at times but they were always there when I needed them, and for that I loved them.

Shayley's car got scratched by a driver and she cussed at him at the top of her lungs while I did my best to hold back the urge to laugh.

"Calm down will you," Jessica said.

"My parents are going to kill me," she said. "I just hope it's not that bad when I take a look at it once I get home."

I smiled and just turned up the radio. All Night by Icona Pop was on which by the way was one of our favourite songs. Shay forgot all about her car troubles and we sang along loudly till the song was over.