Chapter 44: Your Personal Soap Opera

44. Your Personal Soap Opera

I couldn't get to sleep at night. Admitting to myself how I felt about Shawn just turned everything upside down for me. There was still Kyle, and what made this a lot more complicated was that a part of me knew I still liked him too. After my failed attempt to fall asleep I went downstairs. Maybe I could find something to watch...or eat. Yeah that leftover pizza sounds good right about now. Ah, late night snacking, a guilty pleasure.

"Em?" I called in a low voice when I reached the bottom of the stairs. I'm surprised she's still up. Watching a movie and...eating the pizza. Great.

"Oh...hey," she responds, not turning her attention from the tv.

"Surprised you're still up," I said, plopping onto the couch next to her.

"Can't sleep either?" she asked.

"You have no idea," I chuckled. "Shawn got shot today."

She looked at me with concern. "What? Well is he okay?"

"Yeah," I replied. "The doctors say he'll be fine."

"Are you?"

I sighed and let my head fall onto her shoulder. "I really don't know. We didn't exactly see eye to eye on a few things when he woke up."

"You'll figure whatever it is out," she said.

"How d'you know that?"

"You always do," she answered.

***********

The next few days at school were...quiet. It was still school, usual classes and all. But without Shawn's sarcasm, cockiness, stupd jokes, it just felt quiet.

"Hey," Shayley chirped as she sat down.

I poked at my food.

"What's with you?" she chuckled.

"She's still moping about Shawn, obviously," Jessica snorted.

I rolled my eyes and stuck my tongue out at them. "I'm not moping."

"So, are you going to finally tell us you like him?" Shayley casually asked.

"I don't."

Lies.

"Liar," Jessica chuckled.

"Just shut up," I groaned.

"What's up ladies?" Austin asked, joining us at our lunch table before kissing Jess on the cheek.

"Khalan's lying about liking Shawn," Shayley answered absent-mindedly.

"But you do," he said.

"And they don't need to know that!" I groaned, burying my face in the palm of my hand.

"So it's true," Jessica grinned.

"I don't get how exciting this is," I shrugged. "Oh well, it's not like I still have a boyfriend I still like too so," I added sarcastically.

"Oh...that," Shayley said.

"Yeah...that," I repeated.

"So it's like your personal soap opera?" Jessica grinned and the others chuckled.

I rolled my eyes. "You guys suck."

Then my phone buzzed.

"That's weird," I frowned.

"What?" Austin asked.

"I just got a text saying I should go to the art class," I answered.

"What's there?" Shayley asked.