Chapter 26: Ghost Murderer

26. Ghost Murderer

"Are you okay?" he said rushing over to her.

"No," she groaned. "I think I twisted my ankle. God it hurts."

I heard more footsteps and jumped. Startled, I grabbed the nearest hand I could find. He chuckled and I realised it was Shawn's.

"Relax Michaels," he teased.

Nevertheless he didn't let go.

"Jess, I'm trying to help you," Austin argued.

"I don't need your help," Jessica said.

"Can you be any more difficult?"

"Jacob can help," she muttered.

"Sorry, got my hands full," Jacob spoke up referring to the two flashlights he held in his hands.

"Sh-"

"Kinda got my hands full too," he interrupted.

I blushed a bit, grateful it was dark, and quickly slipped my hand out of his, hearing him chuckle again.

"Well I'm sorry your boyfriend isn't here to pick you up bridal style but unless you want to die out here because of some crazy ghost hunter your only option is me," Austin said.

"Fine," Jess huffed.

Why was she being so stubborn anyways?

The rest of us went on ahead as Austin helped Jessica behind.

"I think this thing's actually getting close," Shayley panicked.

"Oh come on," I said with an eyeroll. "There is no ghost hunter out to kill us."

"Sure about that?" Jacob asked. I looked up and saw a figure up ahead coming towards us.

"What the hell is that?" Jessica panicked.

"Is that an axe?" Austin asked.

"We're all going to die," Shayley shrieked.

The place was filled with our panicking voices till the guys erupted into laughter, with Kyle, Liam and Zeke coming towards us.

"What the-?" I asked. "What's going on?"

"You should see your faces," Jacob said clutching his stomach in laughter.

"You were playing us?" Shayley asked annoyed.

"Yup," Shawn answered as the guys gave each other high fives.

"Wait. How did you-? All the noises and-" I began.

Liam held up a small machine. "State of the art Liam Henry audio machine," he answered.

"You made that?" Jessica asked.

"Oh did I forget to mention? I'm a computer genius."

"True, dude can hack into anything...and build anything," Jacob added.

"So you dragged us out here...into the woods...for no reason?" Jessica asked rather annoyed.

"The looks on your faces were worth it to me," Shawn answered with a smirk.

"I hurt my freaking ankle out here you douches," she said slapping his chest.

"Sorry about that," Zeke said pulling her into a hug.

I sighed. "Okay now that we've established the fact that there is no ghost murderer can we go back now? I'm exhausted and it's like three a.m.."

Kyle laughed. "Okay, let's go," he said.

We walked back to our campsite and I immediately collapsed onto my sleeping bag as soon as I got into the tent. Looking over I saw Denise who was fast asleep. Huh, funny to think she slept through all this. I chuckled and closed my eyes, falling into deep sleep myself.

***********

The next morning we were all woken up by Denise's loud calling. I growled as I buried my face into my pillow. I had gotten like, three and a half hours of sleep thanks to those assholes. I lazily got out of the tent, not minding the fact that I probably looked like a wreck. Getting out I saw Denise holding a megaphone - wait, where did she get a megaphone out here? - screaming at us to get out.

"Oh put the damn thing down we hear you," Shayley grumbled.

"Why does everyone look like they slept for half an hour?" she asked confused. "What, did you all get chased by the ghost or something?" she added with a chuckle.

I chuckled to myself. If she only knew.

"What's got her so happy?" Shawn mumbled to me.

"Let's see how happy she'll be when she finds out we left her here all night being hunted down by your ghost," I said.

He laughed. "Fun night huh?"

I rolled my eyes and swatted him with the towel I was holding.

"Ow."

"You know, I actually wish there was really a ghost," I began. "I'd like to see the looks on your faces," I added referring to him and the rest of the boys.

"Don't worry, if there was a murderer out here I'll protect you," he said with a smirk.

"What? You'll scare him away with your ego?" I retorted sarcastically.

He chuckled. "You're cute Princess."

He winked and I rolled my eyes as he walked away.

"What was that about?" Jessica said as I walked up to her.

"Oh nothing," I shrugged. "Just Shawn being...Shawn."

She chuckled.

I knit my eyebrows together in confusion. "What?"

"Nothing," she simply replied.

Um...okay.

"How's the ankle?" I asked changing the subject.

"Still hurts," she replied massaging her bandaged ankle. "But better I guess."

"Can you people hurry up so we can get out of here and back to civilization?" Denise groaned.

"Funny, I actually agree with her," Jessica whispered.

I shook my head. The two were least into this trip.

We packed up our stuff and got into the van. I actually couldn't wait to get home. I needed a nice, warm shower.

"You're all welcome for an awesome weekend," Jacob joked as he turned on the ignition.

"Shut up," Shayley said.

It was a long drive back but we got back in some hours.

"See you tomorrow," I shouted to Austin when he dropped me off at home.

"Later," he called.

I went straight up to my room and took that shower I needed and collapsed onto my bed despite the fact that it was like four in the afternoon.