Chapter 13: I Don't Think Benjamin Franklin Would Like That

13. I Don't Think Benjamin Franklin Would Like That

"Hey," I said giving Kyle a hug when I saw him at school.

"Hey," he responded. "So, you guys had fun here on Saturday didn't you?"

I smiled and nodded. "Guess whatever misery Renée wanted to put us through backfired."

"Damn it, I just remembered, coach asked me to come see him before classes start," he said. "I'll see you later?"

"Of course," I replied.

He left and I moved to my locker to get a few things. When I shut it I was met with a smirking Shawn.

"Are you going to appear everytime I close my locker?" I asked Shawn. He was standing there like the last time, only I wasn't so startled.

"Maybe," he said. "So, guess who's going to have to make sure I learn stuff on this museum trip?" he asked clapping his hands together.

I threw my head back. "What so I have to hang around you all day?" I asked.

"You are my tutor," he began. "Mr. Walden's instructions, not mine. Besides you should be flattered yo get to spend the day with me. I know I'd be."

I rolled my eyes. "When do you stop being so full of yourself?" I asked.

"Well if I'm not mistaken Michaels," he started. "You find that charming," he whispered in my ear and walked away. I shook my head and smiled to myself.

*****************

The day of the trip came pretty quickly. I on one hand was excited to go to the history museum because I could learn stuff while other people were excited just because they got to miss classes for the day.

"No lessons, no quizzes, this is gold," Shayley said happily as we sat down in the bus. Shayley was one of those people.

"Yeah," I said. I sat beside the window with Shay beside me then Jess since it was a three-seater.

"Ow," Jess shouted. "Hey, Denise?" she added glaring at her as she passed by.

"Oops," Denise said innocently. I swear you could see the devil in her eyes.

"She just stepped on my foot on purpose," Jessica muttered.

"Don't give in to her childish games," I reminded her.

We arrived at the Wisconsin History Museum in a few hours. I looked around taking in my surroundings. There were statues and pictures of historical events and people.

"Don't think you can get away from me that easily Michaels?" Shawn said smirking as he walked up to me.

I shook my head smiling. "Ready to learn?" I asked.

"Nope," he said.

"Well too bad," I said with a grin. "Cause I believe you've got a report to do after this."

He groaned. "Seriously? You remembered that?"

"Of course I did," I told him. "Never forgot."

He let out a sigh. "Okay okay, I'll try and learn something," he said.

Soon we were moving around listening to important historical events being narrated by the tour guide who told us repeatedly...and I say repeatedly, to not touch anything. As he was going deeper into the American revolution I felt someone tug the sleeve of my sweater.

"What?" I snapped turning to face Shawn.

"I'm bored," he whispered.

"Just keep taking notes Shawn," I said turning back to listen to the tour guide.

"Why don't we take a real look around this place?" he offered.

"What?" I asked.

"I don't think I can take more of this boring talk," he said.

"It's not boring," I argued. History was one of my favourite subjects. "Besides we can't just...leave," I added.

"Oh come on Michaels," he begged. "We're standing behind everyone."

"And who's fault is that?" I asked. Shawn kept pulling me back and slowing me down so now I had to strain my ears to hear.

"If we slip out no one will even notice," he said ignoring my question.

"Shawn I'm no-"

Before I could finish my sentence he grabbed my wrist and started to walk away, pulling me with him.

"Shawn, stop. We're so going to get caught," I said panicking as we ditched the rest of the class. We were in a different hall now, one full of statues.

"Calm down will you?" he said releasing me. "I told you, no one will even notice we're gone."

"What if Shayley or Jess start to wonder where I am?" I asked nervously. "Or Austin?"

"They'll probably think you're missing in the crowd with me," he answered. He saw the nervousness written all over my face and laughed.

"For goodness sake Michaels stop being such a boring square and just live a little," he said with more laughter.

"I am not a boring square!" I protested, a little hurt by his words.

"Then show me you can have a little fun Princess," he said stretching out his hand. For some reason I took it and he pulled me towards a statue of Benjamin Franklin and took out his phone holding it out in front of him.

"Um...what are you doing?" I asked.

"Taking a selfie," he said in a 'duh' tone. "What does it look like?"

"I don't think Benjamin Franklin would like that," I said.

He only laughed and kept fooling around.

"Shawn we're not supposed to touch them let alone take...selfies," I pointed out.

He chuckled. "Says who?"

"The tour guide."

"Which tour guide?" he asked again. I opened my mouth to speak but he caught me at a dead end. There was no tour guide there so both of us were left without supervision.

"Smile!" he said and I heard his camera take the picture (which I wasn't ready for by the way). He took more by himself making very silly faces and I laughed.

"See, I got you laughing," he said. "Come on."

I laughed and accepted his offer. Soon we took so many pics and I ended up wearing Abraham Lincoln's hat and he, the beard.

"Hey! Who's there?" we heard someone shout.

"Oh shit," Shawn said. The person's footsteps were getting louder.

"Whoa," I said as he pulled me unexpectedly. We hid in a corner behind a wall. I felt my phone vibrate. Austin texted me. I showed the text to Shawn :

Austin: Hey where are you? We're leaving soon.

Shawn took the phone out of my hands and texted Austin telling him to stall while we got back. Soon the security guard's (I assume) footsteps were no longer heard and I ran back with Shawn to join the class. I didn't know how but Shawn was right, we were able to slip out and back in unnoticed. Well, unnoticed by most people that is.

"Where were you?" Kyle asked as I joined Shayley, Jessica and Austin.

"I just went to the bathroom for a little while," I lied. I hope he didn't notice how long I was gone. I don't think he did though, because he just nodded. I talked to Kyle and the other guys on the team for a while before drifting off to sleep on his shoulder.