Chapter 51: Happy Fucking New Year To Me

51. Happy Fucking New Year To Me

Shawn's POV

"I'm coming!" I yelled as I got up to open the door.

"Happy new year man," Liam yelled before jumping on me amd wrapping his arms around my neck.

"Okay get off," I struggled to say, trying to pry him off me. "And we still have a few hours left, so dial it down."

"You're no fun," he whined.

"Are you ready?" Jacob interrupted.

"Yeah, let me just get my phone from the kitchen," I replied.

We were going to a New Year's Eve party. Lilah was sitting there with a bowl of leaves. She was always eating them. What the hell was she, a rabbit?

"Heading out?" she asked.

"Yeah, be back after midnight."

"Oh I forgot to ask," she stopped me. "How did your girlfriend like the gift?"

I rolled my eyes and chuckled. Like I said, I wasn't good at gift giving so I asked Lilah to help. "She loved it. And she's not my girlfriend."

"That's great," she said. "But wait, still? Well what the hell are you waiting for?"

I sighed. "Well- you know what nevermind. I'll see you later."

I proceeded to leave but she got up and stopped me. "Shawn, you're my brother...well brother-in-law to be at least but I think we've been in each others lives long enough. Point is, I'm always going to care, now spill."

I rolled my eyes. She sure was acting like an annoying older sister. Carson took her on some date to a pond the evening after Christmas and proposed to her. Apparently it was, and I quote, 'the most romantic thing ever.'

"Khalan is...a really good person. I don't want to hurt her."

"Why would you think that?" she asked.

"I don't know. I've never really cared about anyone this way before. Not even the last girl I sort of went out with. What I'm trying to say is I've never been good at commitment. I'll eventually mess up like I've always done and hurt her. She deserves way better than me," I explained.

She sighed. "Shawn, just because you haven't made the best decisions in the past doesn't mean you don't deserve love. When I first met you three years ago you were this closed off, rude asshole with anger issues."

I chuckled.

"But I got to know you, and found a good person behind all that. And now you're laughing more, and smiling, going out and enlarging your social circle. And even if you aren't always the best person to be around I wouldn't change you for the world. My point is, you've found someone who loves you for you. Flaws, imperfections and all. Do you really want to let that go because you don't see the good in yourself?"

"I-"

"Dude are you coming?!" Jacob yelled cutting me off.

I grabbed my phone. "I gotta go."

"This isn't over!" she yelled after me.

I shook my head.

"Let's go," I told them.

***********

Khalan's POV

"God Shayley let's go already," I groaned.

"Shut up," she told me as she touched up her make up in front of her mirror. "Some of us want that midnight kiss, gotta look good."

"At this rate we'll make it by midnight...of the next two years," Jessica muttered.