Chapter 8: Sweet Mariah Carey

8. Sweet Mariah Carey

I groaned as my alarm clock went off. Mondays, why do they even exist? No one likes them.

"Ugh," I said as I struggled to get out of bed. I got dressed and headed downstairs.

"Where's Charlie?" I asked putting some toast in my mouth.

"He left around dawn," my dad said. "Hey I'm taking Em to school you want a ride?"

"Sure," I agreed. It was one of the few weekday mornings dad was home after I woke up. Emily and I didn't go to the same school, she went to some artsy school that was about a twenty minute drive from mine.

"Bye dad," I said and kissed him on the cheek when he dropped me off.

I walked in and found my three best friends waiting for me at my locker.

"Oh shut up," Shayley said to Austin.

"No you shut up," he retorted. They were probably in one if their usual arguments. Jessica just stood there on her phone ignoring their bickering like she always did.

"Ehem?" I cleared my throat.

"Khalan! Hi," Jessica said clearly happy to see me.

I let out a small laugh as my other two friends stopped quarreling.

"So you and Kyle, what's up?" Shayley asked quickly. I rolled my eyes trying to hide my smile.

"Of course you'll ask that won't you?"

She smiled and nodded.

"Hey Austin," Denise Harvey said before I could speak as she walked past us. "That party was fun wasn't it?"

I arched an eyebrow at him. Denise wasn't one of Renée's minions, but that didn't stop her from being super mean.

"Nothing happened with her," he said putting his hands up in the air. "Yeah we talked and got a few drinks together but nothing happened, I swear."

"I gotta go," Jessica said and walked away.

"What's up with her?" I asked.

"I guess I'll have to go and find out," Shayley answered and went after her while Austin just shook his head which meant he didn't know either.

"I have to get to class," he said when the bell rang and left.

I put my books in my locker and grabbed the ones I needed for the lesson I had. I shut my locker door and found a smirking Shawn standing there.

"Oh my gosh," I said slightly startled. "You almost gave me a heart attack."

"You sure that's not just because of my good looks?"

I rolled my eyes. "What do you want Shawn?" I asked beginning to walk away.

"Well happy to see you too," he said sarcastically. "I just came to ask if we could...skip classes for today?"

I sighed. "Why?"

"I just have really important business to deal with with Jacob and Liam," he replied.

"Which is?"

"I just really need to go," he said.

"Shawn, you're not skipping lessons. Now please, get to class," I begged him before walking off into my Physics class.

****************

"Hey beautiful," a voice came as I was preparing to go to the library to tutor Shawn.