Chapter 31: She Probably Has A PhD In Evil

31. She Probably Has A PhD In Evil

"My parents left me on one condition guys," I told them. "No parties."

"Well it doesn't have to be outrageous or anything," Shayley persisted.

"Well they said no parties, but they didn't say anything about hanging out with a few friends," I inquired deviously.

"We're finally rubbing off on you huh?" a smirking Shawn asked rhetorically.

I chuckled. "Okay, but just a few people," I ordered.

"Are you sure?" Jessica asked. "I'm sure a lot of students will love to take a break from all the studying."

"Just a few," I clarified as I pulled out my phone. "I'm texting Austin."

I told him to come over and went on to call Kyle, who couldn't come.

"Bummer," I said over the phone.

"I know," he said. "I wish I could but this family lunch is way too important for my parents."

"Okay, I'll see you later then."

"Bye," he said.

"Bye." I hung up and went upstairs to throw on something a bit more appropriate, since my v-neck tee and shorts wasn't going to cut it. Jessica and Shayley did the same and in a few hours we had a couple of people over. I must say, it's not nearly as wild as I was afraid it would get. There was quite a number of people, but not too many, and they were actually keeping themselves under control. Shayley, Jessica and I headed up to my room to place any valuables that may get broken...or stolen.

"Told you we could handle it," Shayley said.

I laughed. "Yeah, I guess I was worried about nothing."

"Of course you d-" Jessica began but stopped when we entered the kitchen. She stood there, like the rest of us, taking in the sight that made absolutely no sense. Austin. And Denise. Making out. In. My. Kitchen.

I rolled my eyes. "Get a room," I told them.

"Khalan," he said nervously. My comment must have startled him. His eyes drifted to Jessica, who stood there with tears brimming at the bottom of her eyes.

"I'll catch you later okay?" Denise told him with a smirk as she left our presence.

"Jess," he began.

"Just...don't," she said. With that she turned on her heels and rushed upstairs.

"What the?" I asked. "Austin?"

He just looked at the floor. Then it hit me.

Khalan Michaels you are blind and stupid.

How could I have missed it. From the tension whenever one was around the other and their boyfriend or girlfriend, to him crashing our date right now, to the constant arguments and secrecy and all. The pieces were right before my eyes, yet I never put them together. Him. Her. Them.

I rushed upstairs with Shayley after her and found her sitting on my bed.

"Jess, you okay?" Shayley asked.

She quickly wiped a tear strolling down her cheek. "Yeah."

"Liar," Shayley stated.

She let out a small laugh and I climbed onto the bed. "Why didn't you tell me?" I questioned.

"Tell you what?"

I rolled my eyes. "Really? Now's the time you're hiding the truth?"

She sighed and answered. "I don't know. He's your best friend, I'm your best friend. My point is we're all really good friends Khalan, something could go wrong and ruin it. I didn't want to jeopardize that."