Chapter 14: Venom In His Veins

14. Venom In His Veins

"Hey," I said to Kyle as I walked up to him and a group of other guys.

"Hi," he responded and leaned in to kiss me. A few of the guys whistled playfully at us.

"Shut up," he told them playfully. I blushed a bit but laughed it off.

"So you coming to the game next Friday?" he asked as he pulled me away from them.

I wrapped my arms around his neck. "Totally," I answered. "I'm your number one fan aren't I?" I added and he laughed. Kyle and I dating was still surreal for me. A few weeks ago I wouldn't have even dreamed of telling him how I felt.

"So, I gotta talk to you about something," he said.

"Uh...sure. What?" I asked.

"Well, you know my friend Zeke right?"

"Ezekiel Jones?" I asked.

He laughed lightly and nodded. "He prefers Zeke. And yeah."

"What about him?"

"He kinda has this thing for Jess," he answered.

I slowly unwrapped my arms from around him. "My friend Jess?" I asked.

"Yes," he chuckled. "Who else? So he asked me to ask you to help him...you know...put in a good word for him."

I laughed. "Of course. It would be nice to see Jess with someone."

"Thanks, he'd really appreciate that," he told me and I smiled.

"I'll see you later," he said and kissed me on the forehead before walking away.

I decided to talk to Jess after school, before I went to the library to meet Shawn. We just finished our last periods and Shayley and I were at her locker.

"I don't know Khalan," she said closing her locker.

"Why?" I asked. "He's a nice guy."

"Yeah I know that but--"

"Just give it a try Jess," Shayley said cutting her off.

She sighed and brushed her long curly hair out of her face.

"Austin?" Shayley said before I could speak. I turned around and saw my best friend with his back against a locker with Denise twirling her hair flirtatiously as she spoke to him.

"I wonder what nonsense she's babbling about," I said.

"Let's just hope she doesn't get her venom in his veins too soon," Shayley joked.

You may wonder why I don't like Denise. For starters she was just like Renée, mean. She bullied other girls and threw herself at most guys. I had seen her date and dump so many guys that it became like a cycle. And Austin was my friend. Usually when it came to dating he was the one who had my back but with her I had to have his back too. I just didn't want to see him fall under her spell and get hurt.

The three of us stood there in silence for a few seconds watching them till Jessica spoke. "You know what? I'll give Zeke a chance."

"Really?" I said with excitement diverting my attention back to her. "That's great. I'll tell Kyle when I get home. I'm so happy for you Jess, really. We could double date and -"

"Calm down would you," she cut me off laughing. "Double dating does sound fun. Mind if we do that the first time I go out with him? It would make things less awkward."

"Sure, sure." I said. "I have to head to the library now."

When I got there I found Shawn standing in front of the library.