Chapter 33: Just You And Me

33. Just You And Me

Jessica's POV

"Okay Jess," I told myself. "You can do this."

No you can't. Ugh! Why did this have to be so hard? In case you're wondering, I was getting myself ready to break up with Zeke. And I felt so bad about it by the way. I took a deep breath and approached him. Luckily it was still a few minutes before class, meaning the teacher wasn't there yet.

"Um...hey," I said.

"Oh hi," he greeted. "What's up?"

Oh you know, just here being a souless heartbreaker. Everyday stuff, really.

I sighed. "We kinda need to talk."

"About?"

"Well...us," I began. "Look, dating you has been great but I just don't think we should...um-"

"Jess, I know what you're going to say," he told me with a chuckle.

"You do? And you're okay with it?" I asked, a little confused.

"Come here," he said taking my hand. I stepped closer like he asked.

"I know you want to end things and I know it's because of Austin."

I opened my mouth to say something but he stopped me.

"It's obvious there's something between you two," he told me. "I didn't like it, but I couldn't ignore it."

I groaned. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean for all this to happen. You must think I'm a horrible person."

He laughed. "I don't think you're horrible Jessica. I think you did your best to make it work," he told me.

"Trust me," I said. "I really did. I guess it just didn't make sense to keep seeing you when I...you know."

"When you what? Clearly have feelings for another guy? I don't blame you Jess," he said.

I was shocked. He was such a nice guy.

"How can you not?" I asked.

"You're an amazing girl, and trust me, I will miss that. But you and Austin, it's obvious there's something there and I can't stand in the way of that. Thanks for just being honest about it."

I hugged him. "Thank you so much for making this easy."

He let out a small laugh. "No problem. Oh, and if you really want to be with Austin, I think you should give it a shot."

I nodded with a smile. If only it was that easy. "Thanks Zeke," I said and kissed him on the cheek before settling down at my own seat.

*************

Khalan's POV

"Are all systems a go?" I asked Austin through the phone.

He laughed. "Khalan you're helping me win Jess back, we're not going undercover for the FBI."

Austin wanted to make it up to Jessica so he planned a little surprise for her.

I rolled my eyes. "Should I bring her in or what?"

He laughed again. "Shawn's good to go, so yeah."

"Okay," I said and hung up.

"Got your book," Jessica said as she approached me.

"Thanks," I said with a smile.

"Now can we leave?" she asked. "You've had me running round these halls for how many minutes now?"