Chapter 1: Guys In Tights Fighting Crime

1. Guys In Tights Fighting Crime

I pulled my brown hair back into a ponytail as I hummed to 'Someone Like You' by Adele. I took my bag but stopped to look at myself again.

"You look fine," my sister Emily said as she walked in and sat on my bed.

"Thanks," I replied, giving her a warm smile. Her blonde hair contrasted my dark locs, hanging loosely around her shoulders.

"Charlie's waiting downstairs, come on," she told me, before taking her leave.

I hurried down the stairs and entered a kitchen filled with the aroma of bacon and eggs, sniffing what seemed like heaven after a night without my usual midnight snacks.

"That smells good," I remarked.

"Well hurry and eat up before your pig of a brother devours it all," my mom joked.

At the mention of my brother I grinned.

"Can your big brother get a hug? I'm only here for a few days you know," Charlie said, opening his arms wide.

I smiled and hugged him. "You should stay longer."

"Where's dad?" Em asked.

"He left early," mom replied.

"Figures," I chuckled. My dad worked a lot. Most mornings he'd leave before my sister and I woke up.

I finished my breakfast and walked over to Charlie's car with him since he offered to take me to school. Not that he had a choice really. Once he had a car he was everyone's chauffeur.

"So how's college?" I asked once we hit the road.

He just shrugged and said, "Same old I guess. Boring classes and even more boring assignments."

"You know you could just drop out right?" I chuckled.

"Trust me kid, I've been thinking of that since the first day I stepped through those walls."

We arrived at my school, Dalewood High. I liked school, contrary to popular opinion. I wasn't one to bury my face in a book all day, but I liked to learn.

Charlie honked at my friends and waved them.

"Thanks for the ride," I said as I got out of the car.

"Don't mention it," he said and gave them a wink before driving away. I swear you could see Shayley melt at that. She always had a tiny crush on him. And I mean, who could blame her? Charlie was that bad boy who for some reason girls thought was hot.

"If you're done drooling about Khalan's brother maybe we could go inside," my other friend Jessica chuckled.

"Shut up," Shayley scoffed, her cheeks turning red from embarrassment. I ignored their bickering as I walked into the halls with them, maneuvering through the mass of students in the hallway. I walked towards my locker to find yet another best friend of mine, Austin, already waiting for me.

"Hey," I said as I flashed him a warm smile.

He nodded at me. "So we're still on for tonight right?" he asked.

"Definitely," I replied.

"What's happening tonight?" Jess asked.

"What's not?" he chuckled. "Soda, popcorn and every single Marvel movie ever made."

Shayley rolled her eyes. "What's so impressive about guys in tights fighting crime?"

"Why am I friends with you?" I asked, placing a hand over my chest.

"And Scarlet Johansen," Austin smirked. "Now she's impressive."

"Okay, enough superhero talk," Jess said as the bell rang. "Can we get to class now?"

Austin Reed, Shayley Folton and Jessica Alvez. My best friends. I've basically known Austin for all my seventeen years of existence so we were very close. I met Shayley in the third grade and Jess in the fourth when she moved from Madrid and we've stuck like glue ever since.

"You guys go," I told them. "I'll catch up."

They did just that and I took my time to take my books out of my locker before heading down the hall myself.

******

"That was awesome but I think we should call it a night," Austin said as he yawned.

I didn't object. We had a couple more movies left but at this point I needed sleep.

"We should," I agreed. "Else I'll be sleeping through my first three periods."

"You could do that and still get an A in those classes," he joked and I rolled my eyes.

"Remind me why we do these things on school nights," I chuckled. "We could have made it Friday."

"It's nice to unwind," he shrugged. "Besides, I have a date Friday night."

I gave him a teasing smile. "What? With who?"

"Well if it goes as planned then I'll tell you," he laughed softly.

"Well I'll be spending my Friday night binge watching How To Get Away With Murder," I told him.

"When was the last time you went out?" he asked me.

"You mean after that time you and Charlie connived and basically chased the guy away? No, not since then," I replied with a sarcastic smile.

He paused for a second. "Oh. Well at least we got rid of him. That guy was an ass and you know it."

Austin was basically another brother to my sister and I. Meaning he was annoying as well.

I chuckled. "You can leave now."

"I'm going, I'm going," he said. "But you know I'm right."

"Shut up," I said as we walk to the door.

He laughed as I shut it behind him and I only shook my head. I went up to my room to finish my homework and do some last minute studying though it was quite late. That didn't last long though, I was off in no time.

A/N

Hi everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this story. Here's a little bit to let you know Khalan. I hope you enjoy the rest :).

- amani