Chapter 45: Right Behind You Pretty Boy

45. Right Behind You Pretty Boy

Shawn's POV

I went back to school when I was discharged from the hospital, despite my doctor's orders and basically...everyone else. I walked in with Jacob and Liam, ignoring the whispering and glances people were giving me. I expected this, I mean I was shot. Besides, half the shit this school talks about are probably made up or rumors, so it's not like I cared. I clenched my fist at that. At least I knew everything was over. With Zac, with all of them.

"I really don't understand why you came back," Liam said. "We break for the holidays in like two days."

"Yeah man, you should have just waited till after New Year," Jacob added.

"I...wanted to come back," I said as I adjusted the strap of my backpack on my right shoulder.

"Oh I get it," Liam teased. "You just wanted to see Khalan," he finished, making kissy noises as he walked backwards.

I rolled my eyes. He wasn't completely wrong though. I missed her, even though she came to see me a few times like the others. And I wanted to find out what was wrong with her. She always looked like something was bothering her big time since she visited with Liam. She'd space out and stuff, like something was on her mind.

"Woah," her voice came when Liam bumped into someone. "Careful Liam."

"Sorry," he apologized.

She shrugged it off and just smiled.

"You," she said to me. "Why are you in school? Aren't you supposed to be at home resting?"

I laughed. I never quite understood why she worried about me so much, but I liked that about her.

"Relax Michaels," I told her. "I'm fine."

"People don't just get shot everyday Shawn," she said.

"She's right," Liam agreed smacking my shoulder. My left shoulder.

"Ow, mate," I groaned.

"Sorry about that."

Then her smile dropped. I frowned and looked up. Kyle. Was he the reason?

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing," she quickly said.

"Still lying? Really?"

She sighed. "Don't worry."

"We'll catch you later," Jacob said, probably taking a hint. I nodded in gratitude at him for that.

"Michaels-"

"He's a jerk, okay?" she cut me off. "A lying, cheating jerk."

I clenched my fist when her eyes began to fill with water. What do I do now?

"Why didn't you just tell me what happened?"

"You were shot for earth's sake. I didn't want you lying in a hospital while plotting ways to kill my ex," she replied.

Yeah I probably would have been doing that instead of focusing on myself.

"Plus it's embarrassing," she added softly.

As much as I wanted to beat the crap out of Kyle I knew I couldn't. That would just create unecessary drama or whatever. Plus I'm in no condition to get into a fight. And so I hugged her. It was the only way I knew how to be there for her that moment. She smelled good. Something was definitely jumping around in my chest alright.

"Thanks," she murmured, her head resting under my chin. "I needed that."

"Welcome Princess," I responded. "Welcome."