Chapter 43: The Doctor Of Love

43. The Doctor Of Love

"Go," he said quickly.

I grabbed my stuff and ran to his car, where he joined me a few seconds later.

"Which hospital?" he asked as he turned on the ignition.

"St. Andrews."

He drove us both there and stopped to pick up his phone once we stopped in the parking lot.

"Now Kara?" he asked. "Fine."

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I really have to get home. I'm sorry-"

"Go," I told him. "I'll catch a ride home with Austin. I just need to make sure Shawn's okay."

He nodded. "I'll call you."

I practically sprinted into the hospital.

"Can I help you miss?" the receptionist asked.

"I'm here to see Shawn Mitchell," I answered.

"Are you family?" she asked.

"I am," someone answered. I turned around to see Freddie. "She's with me."

The woman nodded and pointed to the elevator.

"Come on," he said taking my hand.

"Is he gonna be okay?" I asked.

"I hope so," he answered. "I don't have any news yet. He's still in surgery."

I only nodded, trying to calm myself down. The thought of Shawn being...gone just scared me to death. Honestly, I don't want to imagine him not being in my life.

The elevator door opened on one floor and I saw my friends standing in the hallway waiting. I quickly rushed towards them.

"Calm down," Jacob said pulling me into a tight hug. "We just got news from Logan. The surgery's going fine, he'll be okay."

I nodded. Don't worry Khalan, he's going to be fine. Shawn is going to be just fine.

"We still have to wait though, till he's out and wakes up," Logan added.

"That's not a problem," Jessica said looping her arm in mine. "We can wait."

"He'd really appreciate this guys," Freddie told us.

"Well we are his friends," Liam chuckled. "I'll go down to the vending machine and get us some snacks."

We sat down waiting, and I was relieved when the doctor said he was out of surgery. And even more thrilled when he woke up a few hours later. We had to wait for some minutes before seeing him though. The doctor wanted to speak to his family.

"Alright, you can go in now," Logan told us when he came out of Shawn's room. "For a few minutes though."

We all went in to see how he was doing.

"We've given him some pain meds," the doctor told his dad. "He'll be fine. He was lucky it didn't hit his chest."

Mr. Mitchell nodded. "Let's finish this outside," he said once he saw us.

"What's up?" Shawn said trying to sit up.

"What are you doing?" Jessica asked. "Lie down."

He sighed and lay back down.

"Dude, if you ever scare us like that again I'll kick your ass," Liam said playfully as he gave Shawn a handshake.

Shawn chuckled. "Noted."