Chapter 33: Just You And Me

Start from the beginning

I laughed. "Yeah, let's go."

"Why is there a speaker in the cafeteria?" she asked suspuciously as we got our food.

I just smiled, not giving her an answer. Just then Shawn started playing the tune to Bruno Mars' 'It Will Rain'. Yes, we dragged a piano into the cafeteria.

"Hey everyone," Austin shouted as he climbed onto one of the tables. "Can I have your attention?"

"What the hell is he doing?" Jessica whispered.

I shrugged playfully.

"So," Austin began. "There's this girl I've kinda liked for a while. Things were sort of great, but like the guy I am, I messed it up...badly," he said and earned a few laughs.

"I gotta go," she said.

"Nope," I told her and held her arm. "Just...give him a chance."

She sighed and stayed put.

"But I want her to know, I made a mistake. So Jess?" he continued.

"Oh gosh," Jessica panicked. "Maybe people think he's talking about another Jessica."

"Jessica Alvez?" Austin called again and I laughed.

"Really Austin?" she muttered. All eyes turned to us...well her.

"See when we first went out, it was just an excuse, but it was probably the best one I've made in my life," he said as he stepped down, earning a few more laughs.

"You're beautiful, and funny, and as stubborn as hell," he continued and she chuckled. "But trust me, I wouldn't have it any other way. You probably turned my life around, and honestly, I'm crazy about you. So...am I forgiven?"

She nodded. "Of course," she said and hugged him.

The "aw's" and "ooh's" filled the cafeteria.

"Wait," Austin shouted again. "There's one more thing I have to ask, but first."

Music began to blast through the speakers as the cheerleading team filled the cafeteria dancing to a routine. We watched in awe as they perfected a pyramid with Austin doing two backflips and landing in front if them. They dismantled the pyramid and two held up a banner saying, "Go out with me?"

He turned back to face her. "Jess, will you be my girlfriend?"

She laughed. "You actually got the cheerleading squad to do this?"

"Khalan called in some favours," he explained with a smile. "Meaning all this will totally be for nothing if you say no."

All eyes were on her like we were waiting to hear an answer to a marriage proposal.

She pulled him close and kissed him. "Yes!"

"Hear that people, we have a yes!" Liam joked and applause echoed through the room.

"Finally!" I said. "I'm so happy for you guys."

Jessica laughed and hugged me. "Thanks."

"Thanks Sara," I said approaching the head cheerleader.

"No problem," she grinned. "That was one hell of a way to get some practice. I was happy to help." Unlike the perception most people have about cheerleaders the ones at my school were actually very nice. Sara and I became friends when she was my lab partner last year.

I nodded with a smile and proceeded to the table before lunch ended.

*********

"You know I didn't know you knew Bruno Mars," I teased Shawn as I leaned against the locker he was next to.