Chapter 21 (1/2): Shut Your Conceited Little Pie Hole And Fuck Off

Start from the beginning

"Well it kinda is if you involve my friend," Shayley snapped.

"Just let it go Shay," I whispered, but it was no use.

"Well then yes," Denise stated. "Your friend is probably being tossed around so guys can sleep with her. I mean Zeke? And she can sure as hell forget about Austin."

How did Austin get into this?

"You know what Denise?" Shayley began.

Uh oh.

"If anyone's a whore here, it's you. So why don't you shut your conceited little pie hole and fuck off."

"Or what?" she asked with a smirk. "I'm allowed to speak my mind."

"Not when you're wrongfully trashing other people in public," Shayley retorted. "You're pathetic Denise. Get a life."

"I have a wonderful life, thank you very much," Denise said. "And you're calling me conceited? At least I'm not the bitch who tried to kill herself just for attention."

Okay now it just got real.

"What the fuck did you say?!" Shayley screamed and jumped on her.

The two were now on the ground attacking each other. Well...Shayley was doing most of the hitting.

"Shay!" I exclaimed trying to pry her off before she did some real damage.

Just then a loud whistle blew and evryone went silent

"Oh God no," I whispered to myself.

"Folton! Michaels! Why are you attacking another student?" Coach McAdams demanded.

"Well-um.." I stammered. It did look like we were both attacking her.

"Because she was being a bitch!" Shayley screamed trying to get at her once more. I had to do my best to hold her back, before she pounced on Denise again.

"Language!" Coach warned.

"Coach," Denise began 'sobbing'. "I don't even know why they were so violent. I swear they hate me."

They?

"Both of you, three extra laps, and detention after school," she ordered.

Without another word Shayley and I began our laps after the death glares we sent to Denise while the others continued with the class.

On our way to the locker room Shayley didn't utter a single word, which was odd because she was a talker.

"Shay?" I asked when everyone was gone. We were the last ones to leave. "Are you okay?"

She still stayed silent, not making any eye contact. After a few more tries I sighed and began to walk away.

"Khalan, wait," she choked. Her voice sounded hoarse.

I turned and saw tears in her eyes. She walked over and hugged me, I letting her cry on my shoulder. Shayley never cried, but in this case I understood why she did. It sucks when someone brings up something in the past that you've tried so hard to forget - and even suceeded in doing that. You see, Shayley went through a really rough time about two years ago, when her parents got divorced. That was one of her problems anyways. The others, she never disclosed. I remember noticing little things day by day, like how she kept on losing weight and always wore long sleeved shirts.

One day in the girls' bathroom, I walked in on her washing her hands and saw marks on her wrists. I still remember how she cried when I forced her to tell me she was cutting herself. As much as I was against it she made me promise not to tell a soul. As if that wasn't enough, Shayley totally hit rock bottom. I found her passed out in her room with a can of pills scattered on the floor. I did what any normal person would do, call 911. And we got to know later that Shayley attempted suicide.

Guilt hit me hard. I hated myself for not speaking up about her self-harm when I should have. And of course, the news began to spread fast about why she wasn't in school for a few weeks. Lots of rumours kept spreading about her. But they didn't know. No one knew what my best friend was really going through, I wasn't so clear on it myself! It's a very tough thing for someone to go through, especially a fifteen year old! In the end she got the help she needed, thankfully. She was able to bury her past, but Denise had just resurfaced it.

"I swear I didn't do it for attention," she mumbled, her face buried in the crook of my neck.

"Of course you didn't," I told her. "Who would think that?"

"Denise," she scoffed.

"Like you said, she's a bitch,", I said.

She pulled away wiping her tears and let out a small laugh.

"I'm such a wuss," she said.

"No you're not," I assured. "Shay, you're like the strongest person I know."

"Well that's debatable," she chuckled. "Considering I'm the one crying on your shoulder."

"And how often does that happen?" I reminded her.

"I see your point," she said laughing.

Now that was the Shayley I knew.

"Come on," I said swinging my hand over her shoulder. "Let's get to class and then detention so we can get this day over with."

"Sorry about that though. Didn't mean to get you into trouble."

"Eh," I shrugged. "One little detention isn't the end of my world. Besides, what are best friends for?"

"I love you," she said.

"Well duh," I replied. She rolled her eyes and I laughed. "Let's get going now."

A/N

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who are struggling with depression, anxiety and battling self-harm. Love for all #self-love.

- amani