Waiting On God's Smile

I’ve got peace like a river

I’ve got peace like a river in my soul

I’ve got love like the ocean 

I’ve got love like the ocean in my soul

I’ve got joy like a fountain

I’ve got joy like a fountain in my soul

I’ve got peace like a river

I’ve got love like the ocean

I’ve got joy like a fountain in my soul

Excerpts from the song I’ve Got Peace Like A River an African-American Spiritual

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:7

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.  John 3:16

Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.  Nehemiah 8:10b

Peace:  “cessation of or freedom from any strife or dissension”  Dictionary.com

Love:  “a person’s adoration of God”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Joy:  “a source or cause of delight”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Peace, love, joy...  All things we want.  Things we don’t always have.  Things it sometimes seems impossible to obtain.  Are they always available?  Are they ever available?  Can I get them?  They’re questions I often ask myself.  And I’ve found the answer to be yes.  But honestly sometimes I have to take people’s word for it.  Many have proclaimed to have peace in time of ultimate strife.  Many have let love overcome an enemy.  Many have had joy in the face of sorrow.  They are available, but at a price.  And what price is that?  The price is simply waiting and trusting on God, the source of peace, love, and joy.  Here’s where you’d often hear that all these things can be obtained on your knees in prayer and supplication.  And perhaps that would be true for you.  It’s not always true for me however.  I find that life is always stressful when we don’t accomplish what we know needs accomplishing.  A good movie will never reduce the stress of a sink full of dishes.  A trip to the beach will never remove the anxiousness of a chronically neglected relationship.  And a favorite song cannot assuage the need to make an important phone call.  They may temporarily allow us to forget the things that are keeping us from having peace, love, and joy; but they’ll never be able to erase them.  Sometimes the dishes need to be done.  Relationships always need to be cultivated.  And that phone call will eventually need to be made.  Too often we ignore the sources of anxiety and turmoil in our lives and still expect God to calm the waves.  However, God calls us to be responsible as well.  Sometimes peace comes after confrontation.  Sometimes love has to be worked for.  And sometimes joy simply needs to be recognized.  There are times when everything is in order.  Life is good.  But there’s still a storm inside.  Sometimes our work is done, but the effects of laboring remain.  Sometimes we’re tired of the battle.  In those moments it’s time to lay down our tools and simply be with God.  However, that doesn’t always seem possible.  The kids may be screaming, or the dinner might be burning.  Still, be with God.  Sometimes that means being deliberate about the influences in our lives.  Sometimes it means shutting off the TV and listening to Billy Graham.  Sometimes it means closing GQ or Vogue and picking up a periodical like Relevant.  God is always available, but too often we drown Him out with problems.  God can overcome our problems, but not when we put our problems first.  He must come before everything.  God solved our ultimate problem when He sent His Son to the Cross.  But too often we forget to be thankful for our gifts.  Even the ultimate one.  Join me in committing to be with the Lord.  It’s only with Him that we can have peace, love, and joy at the same time.  The Bible says, “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Galatians 5:22-23a  In order to have those fruits we must have the Spirit.  And because He promised the Spirit, that simply means accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior.  Let’s strive together in continually doing just that and see what peace, love, and joy God can bring to our lives.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake