The Circle of Fulfillment

“Through wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; and by knowledge the rooms shall be filled with pleasant and precious riches.”  Salomon - Proverbs 24:3-4

Jesus said to them, “Have you never read the Scriptures: The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone, this was the Lord’s doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes”?  Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people producing its fruits.  And the one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him.”  Matthew 21:42-44

Prolific:  “producing offspring, young, fruit, etc., abundantly; highly fruitful”  Dictionary.com

Sitting in front of me is this year’s issue of Forbes’ special issue Billionaires Magazine.  At the tope is says, “The definitive guide to the richest people on earth.”  There’s a banner on one side stating that included in the list are 210 new billionaires, 138 women, and a net worth of 5.4 trillion dollars.  Then at the bottom is the most striking statement.  “The names, the numbers and the stories behind the 1,426 people who control the world.”  The list includes at least one prince, hopeful politicians, and political backers.  But only three have ever been elected to any office.  If the statement on the cover of the magazine holds true, that would mean that the vast majority of people controlling the world today are not elected in any sort of way.  If it’s true, that would mean the world isn’t quite as democratic as we may have thought.  Could that startling statement on the cover of Forbes be correct?  This is what the Bible says, “The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.”  Proverbs 22:7  The thing is, many, if not most of these billionaires earn their money.  Here’s the title of Steve Forbes’ commentary in the same magazine, “They succeeded by meeting your needs.”  This is how humanity works.  We succeed by meeting other peoples needs.  Indeed it’s how life itself works.  The problem is that the definition of “Needs” is easily manipulated.  It doesn’t take long to go from needing a meal to needing a limousine.  Because after all, “no one wants to disappoint an important client.”  We all have a tendency to exaggerate our worldly needs.  I do every day.  And I’m not trying to disparage billionaires or anyone else.  However, I think it’s useful to know how humanity is run.  It’s the circle of wealth.  I’ll give you money to meet my needs, then I’ll charge someone else to meet their needs, then they do the same, and the cycle continues.  To get rich we try to get paid more for meeting needs than we pay to have our needs met.  And that’s not a bad thing in and of itself.  However, we all have a need much greater.  A need that can only be met by a Savior.  He meets our needs and doesn’t charge a dime.  In fact, He met our needs and paid for it with His life.  The billionaires gracing the page of Forbes Magazine may control the world, but they don’t have to control you or I.  The Bible says, “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will.”  Romans 12:2  God should be the only one that rules our hearts and minds.  We were made in His image to do His work in our lives.  Sometimes that looks like being President of the United States of America.  Sometimes it looks like building airplanes.  Sometimes it looks like Billy Graham.  And sometimes it looks like a child on their knees.  Whatever our lot in life is, let’s use it to do the work of God by meeting peoples needs.  He met our ultimate need for free.  Now how can we perpetuate that circle of fulfillment?

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake