Standing Firm

“You can tell what kind of person someone is, by what they don’t do.”  Ryan Deal

We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.  No, we declare God’s wisdom, a mystery that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.  1 Corinthians 2:6-7

Arbitrate:  “to submit or refer a decision to an arbiter”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

As a Christian, as a person who holds to values, as a person in general, you will be accused of being judgmental at times.  Never let that sway your morality.  Never let that sway your morality.  Will we be judgmental?  Yes.  Is that wrong.  Often times no.  As a Christian especially, we’re often reminded that we shouldn’t judge.  That Jesus said not to judge other people.  Here’s what Jesus said about judgement.  “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.  For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck form your brother’s eye.”  Matthew 7:1-5  Jesus didn’t say not to judge.  He said not to be a hypocrite.  There is a difference.  The unwillingness or inability to judge merely shows that we lack a moral compass.  But this message is not about how to judge correctly.  It’s about standing for upright values.  Often times people don’t want us to judge because they want us to do something we don’t feel right doing.  It’s called peer pressure.  Remember that phrase from school?  Peer pressure is responsible for many a downfall.  And it often comes with, “Who are you to judge?  Do you think your better than me?”  We are all children of God and non of use should feel superior to another, but there is such a thing as morality, and it takes judgement to discern it.  We all value sound judgement.  However, we all hate being judged.  And we all have areas that could use a little judgment now and again.  Just because we’re not perfect doesn’t mean we can’t strive to do what’s right and stand up for our values.  Jesus said, “Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”  Matthew 11:28  It’s gonna hurt, it’s gonna be tiresome, it’s gonna be work to live for Christ.  We’ll be called all sorts of things.  We’ll be made fun of.  We’ll be shunned.  But rest is in Jesus.  He’s the ultimate Arbiter.  As well as the ultimate comforter.  He’ll never call us names, make fun of us, or shun us.  There’s an open door to His kingdom waiting for anyone who would step through.  Then He’ll call us by our rightful names, “Sons and daughters of God.”  Then He’ll praise us and draw us near to Him.  Isn’t that good news?  Paul said in 2 Timothy 4:7, “I have fought the good fight.”  It’ll take a fight on our part.  But hold fast to the grace and the love of God.  Let’s keep our focus on the Cross.  The reward is worth the cost.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake