Separation and Love

“To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.”  Bertrand Russell

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God!  And that is what we are!  The reason the world does not know us is that it did to know Him.  1 John 3:1

Remiss:  “showing neglect of inattention”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Separation.  We all feel it.  We all know it.  We all live it everyday.  If you’re my wife’s parents you’re living (I should say, vacationing) geographically separated from much of your family in Costa Rica.  If you’re a particular ethnicity you may sadly feel separated from the much of society.  Or if you’re religious you may feel called to be separated from the world and its ways.  There is so much separation in this world and this country (the United States) right now that it is on the verge of becoming a crisis.  Not merely because there are differences in location, beliefs, or cultures, but because we are allowing our separations to drive us to conflict.  In fact, the only time many of us come together is in conflict.  Conflict isn’t always bad, often times conflict is the only way to resolution.  However, resolutions seem to be getting more and more rare these days.  Maybe it’s just me.  I hope it’s just me.  And the truth is, we will always live with and deal with separation.  And sometimes separation is a blessing.  We’ve all heard the old adage, “They fight like cats and dogs.”  Well sometimes it’s good to keep cats and dogs separated.  However, I noticed this morning my cat was nestled comfortably in the curve of my dogs neck.  There’s nothing more inspiring, more beautiful, than putting aside separations, putting aside differences, getting to know and love someone, or something, “on the other side.”  When we choose to relate to those we’re separated from we will see something we all have in common.  We all know what it is.  We all need it.  We all want it.  We all have it.  Sadly we don’t always share it.  It’s love! Love literally makes the world go round.  It was in love that God created the earth and put it into motion.  However, we too often choose to hold onto it ours.  Letting our boundaries and our separations keep us from sharing it.  It would be easy for me to end this message by simply exhorting us all to be more diligent in sharing our love.  However, I would be remiss if I didn’t share the causality of our love in the first place.  It too, is love.  If you’re struggling with loving, and we all do.  Accept love.  I’ll say it again.  Accept love.  Accept love from you parents, your spouse, your neighbors, or anyone.  Most of all, accept the love of your Creator.  He died on the cross for you and for me.  “Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed on us, that we should be called the sons of God.”  1 John 3:1  How awesome is that!?  Now what does Jesus say?  “Love one another.  As I have loved you.”  John 13:34  We are all separated in some way.  That doesn’t mean we can’t come together.  John Lennon was right when he wrote, “All you need is love.”  But it’s His love that we really need.  And it’s there for the taking.  Jesus says, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with Me.”  Revelation 3:20  It is my prayer that the world would know Him, Jesus, that we would learn how better to receive love, His love, give love, His love, and put off the separations that bring conflict.

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake