A Song to Trust

"Let me write the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws." Andrew Fletcher

But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this? Job 12:7-9

Exigency: "that which is required in a particular situation" Merriam-Webster Dictionary

How cynical is it to believe that we are so influenced by art and culture that in comparison laws mean little? In the United States we have a constitution. An overarching law that determines the lawfulness of all other rules and regulations. It was designed to protect the its citizens and their rights. And in doing so acknowledges that we are a society of law. Of course we are! Our highways generally remain very organized because of the rules of the road. Society is relatively safe because of our efforts in keeping criminals out of our neighborhoods. And we sleep well at night because we have a police force, always on duty, enforcing the laws our elected officials write. But what motivates our laws? Andrew Jackson said, "The Bible is the rock on which this republic rests." Are we still resting on that rock? Are you resting on that rock? Am I resting on that rock? We need to ask ourselves what the foundation of our beliefs, our laws, our culture is. I'm reminded of the Jars of Clay song entitled The Art in Me which states "You plead to everyone, "See the art in Me."" Maybe it is art that steers our culture. It certainly stirs our emotions. There is no doubt that God created us to appreciate and create beautiful masterpieces. But God also said, "You shall have not other God's before me." Genesis 20:3 Worship... That is what gets to the heart of our society. It's who, it's what we worship. It's our gods. People have a natural desire to worship a creator. But when we banish The Creator, who, what are we left with. We are left with creators and beauty. We are left worshiping songwriters, songs, artists, paintings, celebrities, movies and the list continues. God is the ultimate artist. He's already painted a magnificent scene. We see His work daily. His song is in our hearts. However, we must see, we must listen, we must trust in Him. Trust Him... That is the greatest exigency we live with today.

Daily Journaling Questions:

1. How did I help someone in kindness today?

2. What did I learn today?

3. What am I thankful for?

4. Who did I love today?

5. What am I dreaming of?

6. What about today do I want to remember forever?

7. What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake