The Hope of Nostalgia

“I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good ole days before you leave them.”  Andy Bernard from the TV sitcom, The Office

“You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life.  But the Scriptures point to me!  Yet you refuse to come to me to receive this life.” Jesus - John 5:39-40

Trice:  “a brief space of time”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Ever turn on an old phone just to see what it looks like once again?  I remember the phones I had when I was a kid.  Man they were cool.  I had a Nokia 8310 that was about the size of a pack of gum.  It was awesome!  I can remember playing snake in church.  How fun of a game was that?  Sometimes I’ve even thought to myself that those old phones were better in some ways than what we have now.  Then I turn one of them on.  The screen is so pixelated I can barely read the names of my contacts.  It had internet but I’m not sure how anyone would have used it.  And Snake isn’t really that fun after all.  Do we sometimes treat our lives like old pieces of technology?  On one hand throwing something perfectly useful away for something newer and shinier.  And on the other hand overrating the past in some sort of nostalgic delusion.  What’s wrong with this moment?  What’s wrong with right now?  Sure, life may be in a rough spot right now, but life is not on hold.  What could God be doing with us right now?  You see, it’s when we give up on ourselves, turn our lives over to God, and live for Him that life gains most value.  There are moments when mortal life can be fulfilling.  Moments like when my brand new iPhone was dropped off at my house on the very first day they were delivered.  That was awesome and I have my wife to thank for it.  However, there are also moments when I’m not even sure I like technology.  Moments when a book read by the light of an old oil lamp seems far more fulfilling.  But then God couldn’t use me through the internet.  We wouldn’t have the medicines we have now.  And no one would be able to drive from the city to the country in an afternoon.  It’s not that nostalgia is bad, or progress for that matter too.  It’s that life is lived in this moment.  Life should be appreciated right now.  Memories are being made right now.  The Lord’s work needs to be done right now.  Join me in appreciating the past, hoping for the future, and loving the present.  God has a purpose for us right now.  How can we fulfill it if we’re not happy where He’s put us?  He’s put us here for a reason.  Let’s live like it.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember right now?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake