I Belong to You

“When these pillars get pulled down, it will be you who wears the crown, and I’ll owe everything to you.  How much pain has cracked your soul?  How much love would make you whole?  You’re my guiding lightning strike.  I can’t find the words to say, they’re overdue, I’ve traveled half the world to say, I belong to you.”  From the song I Belong to You by the band Muse

Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.  Psalm 119:105

Abstruse:  “difficult to comprehend”  Merriam-Webster Dictionary

To be honest, when I woke up this morning I had the chorus of Ho Hey by the Lumineers playing in my head.  They say, “I belong to you, you belong to me, you’re my sweetheart.”  Those were the only words I could remember, and I couldn’t remember the song title so I just googled “I belong to you lyrics” and the first result that popped up was, I Belong to You by Muse.  There is nothing I can find on the internet that supports Muse being a Christian band in any way.  However the opening lines of this song are unmistakably Gospel.  Whether they’re intended to be or not.  We all set up pillars in our lives.  We all want to feel like we’re in charge, we’re responsible, we’ve got it handled.  Eventually they will be pulled down and we’re promised Jesus will wear the crown.  I had a friend ask me why people always give God credit for the good things and blame the bad things on evil.  After much though my answer is, “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”  Romans 8:28  Jesus is the proof of that.  How much pain cracked His soul?  “Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and He said to His disciples, “Sit here, while I go over there and pray.”  And taking with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, He began to be sorrowful and troubled.  Then He said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.”  And going a little farther He fell on His face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.””  Matthew 26:36-39  How much love would make Him whole?  The love of the father.  “And behold, there was a great earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled back the stone and sat on it.  His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow.”  Matthew 28:2-3  That lightning strike, that resurrection, is what guides to this day.  He says, “I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  John 8:12b  In that moment of realization no one can find the words to say.  But for many they’re long overdue.  “I belong to You.”  

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading,

Jake